Chapter 3

The car blasted Def Leppard as the windows were rolled down letting the night air blow in our hair- Steve complaining that it was ruining his while Billy laughed and blew out his cigarette. Robin, Billy, and I were pre-gaming while Steve pulled the short end of the straw and was now the designated driver. Steve pouted as we got closer to the Hideout- the building was coming into view, it was a bit run down. Exposed brick walls with neon signs, the place didn’t look big enough to hold a whole stage for bands to play, but once Steve pulled into the parking lot, you could see a stage in the back of the building. It was already covered in lights and I could see a DJ already playing for a small crowd. Jumping out of Steve’s car Robin and Billy finished the beers while I was good on three cans, I didn’t want Steve to be the only one sober- ish. 

“This band better be good, (Y/L/N).” Billy shouted as we made our way to the back of the building. Surprisingly, the crowd that we saw was a bit bigger than we thought- most of them were drunks and some were teens trying to get drunk. “Just for once, Billy- let the anger go for tonight!” I shouted over the loud music playing around us. He sighed and lit another cigarette as we made our way into the crowd, feeling the music vibrate in the air- I could already feel Billy rolling his eyes at the sound of Tina Turner singing in the air. “I thought it was a metal band playing.” Billy grimaced. 

“Maybe they’re next?” Robin said as she bobbed her head to the beat of the music. She grabs Billy’s hand and gives him a twirl, Steve chuckles and offers his hand to me. Smiling, I take his hand and we dance to ‘What’s love got to do with it.’ by Tina Turner. The song ends and someone walks to the stage towards the opened mic. “Hello everybody!” Everyone turned and cheered in respondes. “We got our last band for the night- give it up for the Corroded Coffins!” People didn’t cheer as much for the band but they cheered- maybe because they were drunk or they were interested. The band was made of four guys- they looked like they were in high school, how have I not seen them before? One that caught my eye was the tall guitarist, he had long curly hair and the biggest brown eyes I’ve ever seen.  He looks over at the other band members and then tilts his head towards the crowd- they smiled and all nodded to each other. When he turned to look over at us, he had the biggest smile on his face and for some reason it made my heart tighten in my chest. 

“Here we go!” Billy shouts, he smirks at the band members- I knew that look, he was checking their outfits- their style, to see what kind of band they were. To my surprise, Billy was digging the band already, even without hearing their music. “Worth it?” I asked, leaning into his ear- shouting the words over the loud chatter of the people around us. Billy smirks and cheers louder. The tall curly haired guy came up to the mic, introducing themselves as Corroded Coffins  and began to Ring of Fire by Def Leppard which in turn made Billy lose his mind. He had somehow snuck in some beers- which wasn’t that hard to do since there was no security, chugging the cheap liquid. “Man this music sucks!” I heard someone say behind us, I turn and see Jason and his buddies. Our eyes met and tapped Billy on his shoulder. “Huh? What?!” Billy shouted- he looked over to where I was looking and saw Carver and his lackeys. “Carver! Didn’t expect you here.” Billy shouted over the music, Jason chuckled and gestured to the area around him. “This place wasn’t as cool as I thought- come on, man.” Jason wraps his arm around Billy’s shoulder trying to lead him away from us and the music. “I can get a party going within minutes back at my hangout place.” Jason said, smiling at the thought of Billy Hargrove at one of his parties. Billy shoves Carver’s arm off his shoulders and finishes his beer before crushing the can in his hand. Throwing it in Carver’s general direction. 

“You’re killing the mood, Carver.” Billy turns back to face us- without realizing what was happening the group of people around us formed a circle with Billy and Jason in the middle. I looked at the band and noticed they stopped playing- due to the owner of the place stopping them once he saw the people forming a circle in the middle of the backyard. Jason followed my line of sight and narrowed his eyes and he broke out into a laugh, pointing at the band members. “Lookie, lookie here! Eddie the freak Munson and his band of losers!” Jason shouted, the only ones laughing where his friends while everyone just looked around themselves in confusion. I looked over to the lead singer- Eddie, he looked annoyed at seeing Jason here. “You freaks playing your shitty music?!” Billy stopped in his tracks and slowly turned back to Jason. “Shitty? Def Leppard is far from shitty.” Billy said as he took a step closer to Carver, he never understood how people didn’t like metal and rock n’ roll. Jason raised a brow at him. “You telling me you like this shit? Come on man, I thought you were cool.” Jason scuffed. Billy was about to make a move, one I’ve seen many times before- I ran towards him and grabbed his wrist. He stops and slowly turns to look at me, his eyes along with his face read. ‘Let me kill this guy.’ I shake my head and pull him towards me. Jason scuffs and crosses his arm as he smiles at us while I drag Billy back to the group- Steve stood next to him. Ready to fight with him if it came down to that. 

“Yeah, listen to the orphan.” Jason commented, I stopped in my tracks now. Billy and Steve were about done with Carver- but I beat them to it. I bolted towards Carver- raising my fist and ignoring Robin’s plea for me to come back. Without blinking my fist collided with his chin- his body landing on the floor while his friends went and tried to help him up. The people around us broke out in gasps, cheers, and laughs. Carver looks up at me holding his jaw, blood coming out of his mouth. His face was laced with shock that a girl punched him hard. “Say that shit to me again and you won't wake up next time.” I frowned and walked back to my friends, Billy smiling proudly at me, Robin gasping at me, Steve clapping for me while trying to hide a smile. 

A whistle broke out into the air and I looked up at the stage to see Eddie Munson clapping and whistling. Our eyes meet and he cups his hands around his mouth, making his voice louder as he shouted, “You fucking rock, mystery girl!”  I smiled and laughed when he bent his body at the waist, bowing at me, while he stretched his arms out towards me. A smile pulled on his lips and filled his eyes with the brightest joy I’ve ever seen on a person.