Chapter 21: Steps

Start from the beginning

Paisley, who had seen the whole thing, came to her friend's aid. She helped Mary up and asked, "Are you alright? That looked like it hurt."

Dusting herself off, the Princess responded. "It did hurt. My right elbow tingles and aches a bit. It's probably going to be bruised." Then she took her fan and whispered behind it to her companion. "I'm tired of Juana's attitude. She's on my last nerve."

Paisley took her fan and did the same. "She's jealous of you because you're prettier and have a handsome husband. Just ignore her as best you can."

So she did. Mary went about ignoring her spiteful cousin until the lady tripped her. This time Her Highness landed on her knee. The very knee she had chipped when she had fallen down the stairs years ago. And good Lord! The knee ached.

By that time, the class was almost over. Señora Rosabella descended upon Mary and began helping her up. The lady asked if she needed assistance walking up the stairs, but the Princess told her, "I think I'll be fine. I'll take it one step at a time."

All the other ladies, minus Juana, wanted to help too, but Mary insisted that she's alright and advised them not to worry on her behalf. While her insistence deterred the gaggle of ladies, Paisley stuck to her like glue, totally unphased. As Mary began to walk, the pain in her knee radiated. And she literally walked up the stairs one step at a time.

Shaking her head at her friend's stubbornness, Paisley informed the Princess, "I'm going to get your husband. If I can't find him, then I'll fetch William. You need help getting up these stairs. Stay there. Don't move."

That was hilarious. Don't move. Like Mary can move very far with her bum knee. So she held onto the banister for support and sat down. While the Princess sat, she took in the Royal Palace's comings and goings and admired the place's general grandeur. Many people gave her questioning looks for sitting, but she declined to acknowledge them.

During one such moment of people watching, Mary heard the shuffle of feet behind her. The next thing she knew, a gentleman held out a distinguished hand. She could tell this by the signet ring and the groomed fingernails. Then she heard the Infante Philip's voice saying, "May I assist you, Princess?"

Mary thought it would be rude of her to decline the help of the Infante, so she accepted by taking his proferred hand. "Thank you, Your Highness," she stated.

The sly, pretentious Philip asked, "How did you come to be hurt? Do I need to send some guards to arrest someone?"

The idea of having his sister arrested amused the Princess. It would be hilarious if that happened. However, she casually said, "No need for that. I took a tumble during the dance class and hit my bad knee. I'll be fine once I get to the guest suite."

After pulling Princess Mary up, The Infante took a breath and mentioned, "Well, regardless, I am sorry. Besides the fall, how are you enjoying your stay in Spain?"

There's something in Philip's demeanor that sets Mary on edge. She can't place it, but it's something. And his hand is clammy, unlike Charles's strong and masculine one. She wishes to be rid of him and this conversation.

With grace, the Princess answered his question. "I've enjoyed my stay so far. Enjoying Spain's culture allows me to appreciate my mother's homeland."

Siding up to the English princess a little more, Philip held his arm out for her to take. It's infinitely better than his hand. Then the man revealed his knowledge of her and made a bold suggestion. "I heard you have a fondness for art and literature. If you allow it, I could show you the palace library and art collection."

Keeping her eyes trained on the step ahead, Mary thought about how to answer. Again she felt it would be rude to decline, so she remarked, "That would be fine. Perhaps we could arrange something when my knee is feeling better."