52: Up and At 'Em Kitties!

"You know the drill," Lucas said as he faced Elise getting out of the car. "Checklist it?"

"I have my toothbrush, toothpaste, backup charger, extra socks, water bottle, and backup bandages," Elise recited. She patted the backpack thrown over her shoulder. "All in here."

Mentor passed Elise her suitcase from where he went to retrieve it from the trunk. "You're all grown up now dear." Her uncle smiled, saying, "I'm so proud of you."

Lucas looked at her for a long moment, taking in her backpack and school uniform, even though it was summer break. "It seems like you're leaving so often now..." he muttered.

"I'll come back, and I'll stay safe," Elise promised. It was obvious that he still worried about an incident like the shopping mall or her internship happening again. She gave both her uncle and brother a reassuring smile. "Pinkie promise." Extending the pinkie of her left hand to Lucas, she shook it with a grin.

Lucas shook his head bemusedly and linked his finger with her, shaking it once before dropping it.

"Stay safe, dear."

"Be careful out there, kid. Come back to us soon."

"I will!" Elise called back as she turned to leave, pulling her suitcase behind her. She turned back to wave. "I'll come back, I promise!"

***

Aizawa stared the class down as they gathered in front of the busses, the cicadas once again droning overhead. "U.A. High has finished its first semester and started summer vacation." He droned. "However...Those of you trying to be heroes will not receive days of rest. At this summer training camp, we'll be aiming for even greater heights—for 'Plus Ultra'!"

"Yes sir!"

Talk over, the class broke into excited chatter. Mina, Kaminari, and Uraraka were clapping in tandem as they chanted 'class trip' over and over.

"Eh?!? There are people in Class A taking extra classes?!" A smarmy voice exclaimed. From Class B was Monoma, strayed from his own bus to mock the students of Class 1-A. "Does that mean there are students who failed the final? What? Isn't that weird? Isn't that weird? Even though they're supposed to be better than Class B?? How can that be?????"

Even though she was nowhere near him, Elise found herself taking a step away from the rambler.

Crazier than a hyper Spoink.

Monoma's madness was cut off as Kendo, the orange-haired girl often seen taking lead within the class, karate chopped him in the back of the head. She waited until he slumped and faceplanted into the bricks below before bending down to haul him up by his collar. "Sorry!"

The rest of Class B watched him be dragged away before turning to Class A.

A girl with shoulder-length, muted green hair was the one to speak. "We kind of met during the sports festival, but nice to meet you, Class A."

It was the only statement that could be exchanged between them as the call to board the buses was announced.

"Class 1-A this way!" Iida announced, arm robotically making lines in the air. "Line up in seat order!"

***

Though Iida tried, seat order was inevitably always useless with Class 1-A, everyone shuffling around until an equilibrium was reached. Elise ended up slotted next to Mina, in front of Bakugou and Kirishima. Mezo was conversing with Ojiro on the other side of the bus, one small conversation in the din of chatter that filtered over Elise as she dozed through most of the journey.