25

After that rather chaotic introduction to the galaxy, everyone eventually settled into a relative silence. Stephen took a seat at the table, as did Wanda, but Scott was spending most of his time inspecting the cockpit and watching whatever Loki was doing (not a lot at the minute, seeing as now they weren't currently running from the law nor trying to escape an evil spacecraft carrier). That left Stephen alone with Wanda, whom he still hadn't really talked to after... everything.

Thankfully, he wasn't the one who was going to start the conversation, apparently.

"So, Stephen," she started, slowly, "what's been going on, lately?"

Stephen blinked and tried to digest the conversational tone. "Huh?"

She turned to look at him dead on in the eye. "What's been going on? Like... what have I missed?"

So Stephen started to explain to her everything that had been happening since she'd seemingly vanished off the face of the planet. Wanda didn't even know what the date was (neither did he, at the moment, since everything just seemed like a blur since all that dimension travelling and changing countries and space and whatnot).

He even got his phone out to show her the photos he had taken when he and Loki had ventured through space recently, including the ones Loki managed to sneak of him when he was being stupid (yes, he'd kept those ones, but Loki didn't need to know that).

Wanda kept mostly quiet, until Stephen got to the part about Christmas at Scott's. At which point, she gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. "I... I ruined your guys' Christmas? Oh my god, that's such bad timing, I'm so sorry."

Stephen shook his head. "No, it's fine. You didn't ruin it. It was basically over when we were given the message anyway."

"Yeah, but lets be real here, you're always going to remember this Christmas as the one where I nearly aided in destroying the multiverse, aren't you?" she asked, still staring straight in his eyes, and for some reason it meant he couldn't even lie to himself.

"Yes," he admitted, looking down at his hands. "But that's not a bad thing. Consider this help we're giving you as your late Christmas present."

Wanda buried her face in her hands, and Stephen's heart tugged when he realised she was trying to hide her tears again. "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to get you guys roped into this. If I hadn't lost control with the whole Westview situation, I wouldn't have even had to have heard of the Darkhold, and I certainly wouldn't have become a psycho."

"Woah, you aren't a psycho," Stephen replied, instinctively, before he'd even thought about it. "Psychos enjoy hurting others. And do you enjoy hurting others?"

Wanda looked at him with the one eye peeking through her fingers. "No," she replied, hesitantly.

"You don't sound sure."

She tried to relax herself with a deep exhale. "No," she said, much more confidently. "No. I don't enjoy hurting others."

"Then there we go," Stephen said. "You aren't a psycho. I know what the Darkhold does to people. It preys on the most insecure parts of a person to make them follow through with things that person would never even dream of doing in their normal mind."

"I know all that," Wanda mumbled. "Where are you going with this?"

Stephen frowned. "I guess I'm just trying to help you understand this isn't your fault. Not entirely. Anyone could've done what you did if they were in your position."

She took a shuddery breath. "Yes, and thank you. It's really appreciated, seriously."

He wasn't sure if he believed her, or even if she believed herself. However he didn't know what to say back.

So rather than speaking, he reached across the table and held her hand lightly. Wanda's head snapped up in shock, but he didn't move his hand. After a moment, she relaxed, even visibly, slumping back against her chair. Again, she seemed unsure of what to say, before repeating herself. "I really am so sorry."

"I'm sorry too," Stephen said. He wasn't too sure what he was apologising for, but it just seemed right to say. And they were definitely making progress here.

And, of course, the heartfelt moment was interrupted. "What did I say earlier about saying sorry?" Loki said, and Stephen and Wanda looked to see him and Scott watching them. "I said, neither of you have anything to be sorry for, so stop saying sorry."

"Yeah," Scott seconded. He was doing a very poor job of hiding a smirk though.

"Shut up," Stephen sighed, and once the two of them had turned around again, he turned to Wanda. "Mind me asking... to change the subject, I guess, um, what are your plans with the Darkhold now? Which, by the way, you do not have to answer if you don't want to."

He needed to get this out of her one way or another.

Her hand tensed under his. "Well, um, I- I'm going to suppress it as long as I can before I find a way to destroy it completely." Stephen opened his mouth to speak but she anticipated it. "And yes, I get you're concerned it'll hurt me, or it'll destroy me with the effort, and there's the prophecy to think about, but me and Loki already figured that first bit out."

Stephen blinked. "What's Loki got to do with this?"

"Well, I didn't know if he was going to tell you two or not, but since he hasn't, I will," Wanda said, sighing. She went to continue to speak, but then hesitated, thinking. At Stephen's confused look, she rectified, "Oh, it's alright, he's just talking to me."

Stephen glanced at Loki who apparently knew he was looking at him, because he waved at him without turning around, then pointed back at Wanda. He obliged, turning back to Wanda, who was waiting for his attention. "What's he saying?"

"Nothing important," Wanda dismissed. "What's happening is that I've set up a link between our minds which allows us both to bear the weight of the Darkhold."

Stephen blinked. And blinked again. "OK. Was not expecting that."

"That's why we're both, well, not fully on it," Wanda admitted. "And more withdrawn than usual."

"Wait, this is withdrawn Loki?" Stephen asked, mainly to diffuse the tension. It worked. Wanda actually smiled, on the verge of a laugh.

Loki took it one step further. Turning around he pointed at Stephen and said, "Hey, withdrawn Loki isn't any less sarcastic than the usual Loki."

"And usual Scott is basically the exact same as confused Scott," Scott chipped in, causing both Stephen and Loki to laugh, and Wanda's smile to widen. "Feel like I've joined a conversation half-way through."

"And withdrawn Wanda would tell you, usual Scott, she also doesn't really know what's going on half the time too, so don't worry about it," Wanda chipped in.

"So, what about me?" Stephen asked. "Which Stephen do you guys think I am today?"

"Oh, you're just permanently the clueless Strange," Loki answered immediately, much to the amusement of the others.

Stephen scowled and pointed at him, fake-aggressively. "Hey, shut up, withdrawn Loki."

Then he noticed everyone was looking slightly above his head, so turning his head upwards, he saw the cloak (nodding?) vigorously. "Seriously? You think I'm always clueless Strange too?"

"The cloak never lies," Loki shrugged, then there was a beep from the controls somewhere and he added, "Ooh, look, only twenty five miles until we reach our destination. Better start getting ready."