02: New Beginnings

We lye on the grass doing homework/working on the bracelets and other trinkets we sell. This is one of my favorite times of the day, when the whole dream team gets to just enjoy the end of the day and be in our own worlds.
Sophia created this super cool app for our products to reach more people.
It's pretty professional looking, Sophia has connections with her dad to create stuff like that.

While we all get our lunch from the cafeteria, we all sit down at a table. Sophia starts the discussion.

"So, when's the next sale?"

"I got some people from the app that applied for some charm bracelets, we can wrap those up to prepare for them."
I say.
"Does the app have most of people from Santi in it?"
"Mostly, yeah. Except the people who never downloaded it, of course. Good call putting flyers around campus to advertise it, Soph!"
"Also thanks for creating the app!"
Caleb shouts from across the table. They all giggle.
"Em, come with me."
They all look up startled. James seemed to appear out of nowhere, again. What could he want now?
"Why would I go anywhere with you?"
"Because I have news that will be very much of interest to you."

I look at everyone with confusion, but Sophia gestures to go with him, and I trust her judgement. With no idea what James could possibly want to talk about, I gather my stuff and head to his car with him trailing in front of me.
But his car isn't out front, he's driving mom's mini van.

"You know, I don't understand your emotions at all."
"Yeah, well good thing you don't have to. I'll give you a ride home if you just let me talk."

He opens the passenger door for me, I stop and look at him perplexed. His smile fades and he gestures to the car. I get in.
"Where's Jessie?"
"Part of the punishment for me 'yelling' at mom yesterday was that the first day back at Santi, I have to drive her car. This mom van got some rev to her though."
"Oh, that explains it. I never thought I'd see you apart from your prized possession."
"She's in good hands."

Mom is having a blast in his car, driving it to work, to Albertson's, to the bank, playing crazy 'mom' music on full blast.
"Okay, all this talk and no context. Spill it. What do you want?"
"It's not really about what I want, it's more of an opportunity for you. But if you say anything to mom or get me in any sort of trouble I'll probably never look in your direction again."
"And you think I'd care?"
"I know you would. I would."

There's a pause. James breaks the silence.
"Do you remember dad's old property out in Laguna Beach?"
"Yeah sorta, didn't mom use it as like, a vacation home for the two of them?"
"Yeah, all the time. When we were younger they were out there quite a lot. Dad loves that place."
"Where is this going?"
"Now that I just turned 18, I guess, dad wrote out a partial will for us before he died. On that will it says that when I turn 18, that property would transfer from mom's ownership to mine. She told me all of this last night."
"Well that's great news right? You're going to move out to Laguna and leave us alone?" Emma says, knowing the last thing she wants is for him to leave.
"Haha, not quite. There's some legalities that need to go through before any of that can even be a thought."

"K, then I'm confused again. Why are you telling me all of this?"
"I want to have a crazy pool party. But, Not just any pool party, Em. The pool party of a lifetime. The pool party of the century! And I want to have it there."
"Yeah, that sounds super cool. Good luck with that!" I look out the window to try to avoid this conversation. Too bad I cant teleport out of here.

"I'm not finished. I want you and your friends to have a booth there where you can sell all that cool stuff from your business. I wore one of your bracelets to St. Bernard and so many people wanted them, including people at Santi. But the catch is I want a small cut of the profit, of course. And your silence, no telling mom about any of this, and we both can benefit."