Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal

Start from the beginning

College Recruiter: Of course you deserve to go to college. Everyone does, no matter their disability.

The interview went by fast as the interview was over. Charlie was waiting for Alex outside as he comes out and they begin walking in the hallways.

Charlie St. George: How'd it go?

Alex Standall: What are you even doing here?

Charlie St. George: I wanted to see how it went.

Alex Standall: Oh, my God, you're like a fucking golden retriever. Don't you give up?

Charlie St. George: No, I'm like, uh... Russell Wilson. Never giving up on a play, always scrambling. So, how'd it go?

Alex Standall: It sucked because I'm extremely fucked up, and if you weren't an idiot, you'd stay away.

Alex was so annoyed of Charlie that he walks away from him. After class was over, Justin goes to the bathroom to wash his face as he begins to grieve for his mother. Meanwhile, Ani was in her college interview.

College Recruiter: If, uh, I were to ask one of your friends, what would they say is your greatest strength?

Ani Achola: I... I suppose they'd say I'm... very dedicated. Um... Loyal. I'm not... I'm not someone who gives up on other people very easily. (Chuckles) Hm.

Ani sighs as she's beginning to break down.

Ani Achola: Actually, um, sorry. Um... Uh... That's not what they would say... at all. (Chuckles Lightly)

College Recruiter: What do you mean?

Ani Achola: The truth is... I don't think my friends would have... any idea how to describe me. When they... when they look at me, they only see what I want them to see. Just like you're only seeing what I want you to see, which, frankly, isn't the real me at all.

College Recruiter: Then who are you?

Ani Achola: (Sadly) I don't know.

After school, I go to check on Clay. He didn't go to school today and he has an interview with a Brown recruiter later today. Clay is sitting on his bed looking at the floor.

Hannah Baker: Are you nervous about your interview?

Clay Jensen: I'm scared. I don't know what I'm going to say.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. I go up to answer and it was Tony. As I sit back down next to Clay, Tony informs us about the police's plan to take down Tyler. I couldn't believe this was happening right now with the way Clay is right now. Tyler is going to need Clay, but he's in no condition to help anyone.

Clay Jensen: You think Tyler's making a buy and they're going to take him down?

Tony Padilla: They set him a trap. Tomorrow night. And we've gotta stop him somehow, but I can't get ahold of him, and he's nowhere to be found, so...

Hannah Baker: Tony, Clay has an interview with a recruiter from Brown later today. He has to focus on that. Besides, look at him. He is no condition to help anyone.

Clay Jensen: She's right. I'm not in any shape to help anyone right now.

Tony Padilla: What does that mean? Clay, what does that mean? I don't... I don't understand what's happening.

Clay Jensen: I'm, like... I'm grounded forever. I...

Tony Padilla: Clay, Hannah, this is everything. This is everything! If they take him down, we're done. It's over.