6: 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛

The sun was up in the bright blue sky as it shined down on the civilians in the Outer Banks, cars driving by every so often. The sound of the bell ringing throughout the high school building could be heard all around as the students made their way through the hallways, some in classrooms to finish the homework they had while others began prepping to get some lunch with their friends.

The library didn't have many people in it, only about two or three, including the librarian who sat at her desk near the entrance of the library full of books. Her head snapped to the door when the four Pogues made their way inside, Pope being at the front with his girlfriend right beside him, her hand in his bigger one as he listened to her, Kiara and JJ question him.

Earlier, the three older kids had been doing a test in their class when a man had called for Pope to come speak to him out in the hallway. When he had came back in, an envelope laid in his hand and he had turned to Kiara and JJ, showing them the gold stamp that held it shut, the familiar wheat symbol on it, just like the gold they had a while back when they had their two friends here with them.

Once getting out of class, Pope had rushed to meet up with his girlfriend like always and now, here she found herself holding his hand as they made their way into the library, the librarian having to shush JJ for being the loudest as they passed her.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee." Pope begins, eventually giving in. "Take a look at this. Read it."

The Heyward boy found himself staying right by his girlfriend's side as she had seated herself down on the chair beside her sister while they watched him hold out the envelope. JJ had immediately taken the chance and grabbed ahold of it, taking the letter out of the envelope while the others waited, expecting for him to read it out loud to them but he didn't say a word, his blue eyes scanning through the words that he had no idea what they were saying, his body tensing as he didn't know how to tell his friends.

"Out loud." Y/n adds.

JJ gulps, glancing at them. "I can't read cursive."

Brows furrowing a bit in slight confusion and also a bit of amusement since she had never known that, Kiara reached up and took it out of his hands and looked at the words. Meanwhile, the three had all crowded around her as they peaked over her shoulders, Pope placing his hand on Y/n's shoulder as they waited for the oldest Carrera sister to begin reading the letter he had been given.

"'Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at twenty-seven King Street, Charleston at eight p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey'." Kie reads.

"Charleston?" JJ repeats in shock.

"It's like an eight hour drive, plus the ferry." Pope tells them. "How are we gonna get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave right now." Y/n states.

"'Material evidence'? What does that even mean?" JJ whispers in question.

"It means he can clear John B." Kie informs.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston." JJ blurts out a bit loudly, receiving a look from the librarian.

Kie sighs, glancing at her sister. "We gotta tell our mom."

Y/n nods in agreement. "And if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe."

As the other two agreed with her statement, Pope bent down a bit, using the computer in front of his girlfriend as he moved the mouse, getting up google on the screen. Neither of the three seemed to notice as his fingers typed on the keyboard, searching up what he was wanting to know about before taking a glance back at the letter when his search popped up on the screen. A sigh escaping past his mouth is what made the others look at him, their attention back on him like it had been when they entered the library.