24: 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢

The sky was now dark, the moon and the stars shining above the teenagers as Y/n, Pope and Kiara found themselves driving towards the Chateau in a truck, speaking about the plan to get the gold from the well back at Mrs. Crain's creepy house.

John B and Sarah had left earlier in the day, going off somewhere by themselves to god knows where, and they all still hadn't seen JJ since he stormed out on them back at Barry's trailer park house. The three teenagers were worried about their blonde friend, wishing he was with them at the moment.

The three hop out of the truck, Kiara getting out from the back as they all make their way to the trunk, grabbing things they'll need just a whirring sound is heard, many lights on the trees and bushes around the Chateau turning on, catching their attention.

The three Pogues exchange a rather confused look, wondering who could be here other than John B, knowing he wouldn't do this. After that, they head towards the back of the Chateau, seeing JJ sitting in a hot tub, the jets going on.

"What did you do, JJ?" Y/n asks.

"I got a jet going straight in my butt right now." JJ replies, not answering her question as he chuckles. "Y'all should get in immediately, you hear me? Salud!"

"How much did this cost?" Pope questions.

"Uh... Well, with the generator, the petrol, and oh, hey, express delivery... pretty much all of it, yeah." JJ lists off.

Pope's eyes widen. "All of it?"

JJ nods. "Yeah, all of it."

"You spent all the money in one day?" Y/n asks.

"Yeah, burned a hole right through my pocket. But, I mean, like, come on, guys, like, look at this! Finest in jet-based massage therapy, that's what they told me." JJ informs, then noticing their stares. "What? Can't a man have a little luxury in life? Come on, all this scrimping and scraping... I mean, like... guys, you only live once, right? Enough of this emotional shit. Get in the Cat's Ass. Come on."

"In the what?" Kie speaks up.

"In the Cat's Ass. That's what I named her. Oh, hey, yo, I almost forgot." JJ begins, turning on some more lights. "Yeah, that's right, I know. Disco mode. That's right, baby!"

"Are you kidding me? You could have paid for restitution!" Pope reminds.

"Or literally given it to any charity!" Kie adds.

"Or better yet, you could have helped us buy supplies to get the rest of the gold out of the well!" Y/n exclaims.

"Okay, well, you know what? I didn't do that!" JJ argues back as he stands up, revealing many bruises laying all over his torso.

All their eyes widen in shock, knowing that was from his father which had to be earlier after he stormed off away from them, taking the money that he stole from Barry with him.

"I got a hot tub! For my friends. I got a hot tub for my friends. You know what? No, screw friends. I got a hot tub for my family!" JJ continues. "Guys, look what I did for you! Alright? Look at this!"

"JJ..." Y/n starts.

"No, you stop being emotional. It's fine, okay?" JJ assures, ignoring whatever they had to say.

As he rambles, Kie walks forward, getting into the hot tub and wrapping her arms around the blonde, feeling him hug her back as he begins to sob loudly, murmuring things about whatever. Y/n felt tears prick her eyes at the sight of her friend as Pope grabs her hand, their fingers coming together.

"I can't take him anymore!" JJ exclaims through his sobs. "I was gonna kill him."

Glancing to one another, Pope and Y/n walk forward, still hand in hand as they soon wrap their arms around the two, all of them having a group hug while JJ continues to sob against Kie's shoulder, the boy feeling happy even when he was crying at the family he had around him.

***

It was early in the morning, the night sky still up and the three still found themselves at the Chateau. Kie had gotten JJ to sleep, the boy laying on John B's couch, to which the brunette girl rests in the chair beside him, somehow being able to sleep.

In the kitchen, Y/n grabbed a water bottle from the fridge, then looking out the window, seeing Pope sitting by himself outside, staring at the stars. Closing the cap on her bottle, Y/n walks out of the Chateau, heading towards him and seating herself beside him, following his gaze and looking up.

"Have you ever thought about your future?" Pope suddenly questions, breaking the silence.

Y/n glances at him. "What do you mean?"

"Have you ever thought about what could happen? Where we all might be after high school? Like, will we all still be friends after getting the gold?" Pope lists, still staring upwards.

"I haven't thought about it that way." Y/n admits in a whisper. "What about you?"

Pope shrugs a shoulder. "I guess I have, yeah."

"Really? About what?" Y/n asks.

"What job I might have after college. Who I might end up with in the future." Pope whispers as he glances at her, meeting her eyes.

"I'm sure you'll find someone." Y/n replies, also in a whisper.

Though her heart broke when she said that, wishing she could be the one who he'd possibly choose, she knew he would never choose her. Why would he? Ever since they've met, all they've ever been was friends.

But Y/n wanted to be more.

And so did Pope.