1: 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚕

The sound of wood chopping could be heard throughout the backyard of the Chateau. The wind was blowing in the air, the birds happily chirping, not noticing the saddened teenagers that were by a tree in the large tree that a hammock was hanging from the branches of the plant. The sound of the waves from the ocean could be heard in the air, adding to the chirps of the birds and crickets and the chopping of wood.

An axe in hand, Pope Heyward chopped a bit of wood from the trunk of the tree, getting a flat area which he was able to make out as a heart. When he finished this, JJ Maybank came up with a blowtorch and a metal tool that he was able to heat up with the blowtorch. Pope places himself beside his girlfriend, Y/n Carrera who was in-between him and her older sister, Kiara, or Kie, Carrera.

They all watch as JJ dug the heated part of the tool onto the smooth surface Pope created for him, making words for a memorial for their best friend who had died out on sea with someone who was to become their best friend as well. When JJ walked back and placed himself beside Kiara, they all looked at the words on the carved out heart that said, '2003-2020, John B Routledge, P4L'.

"To John B." JJ says as he lifts his drink up.

"And to Sarah." Y/n quietly adds.

Pope follows the blonde's actions, lifting up his drink before they both gulp a bit of them down. After that, Kie steps forward and places the box full of their best friend's belongings in the small hole that her and Y/n had dug up. The other three followed her, crouching down as they began to bury it. John B Routledge and Sarah Cameron weren't able to actually have a funeral, so they made this up instead and decided to bury a box of his things.

"Here's a fun fact. You ready? Here we go. Everyone you know... will die. And by everyone, I mean everyone. Your mother, brother, sister, father. All your friends. And all your enemies. Everyone. I mean, of course, there's another way of looking at it. Since it's all so short and over so quickly... that makes everything meaningful. Everything's just one time."

***

Right outside of the Cameron residence, the Carrera sisters and Pope could be seen by the wall as the girls held cans of spray paint in their hands. Y/n is the one to right the words that her and her sister were putting, Kiara being the one to add a few finishing touches to it while Pope paced back and forth, keeping an eye on the house ahead of them in case if Ward Cameron or Rafe Cameron or just any of the Cameron's would come out and spot them.

"Okay, I'm not sure, but I think they can definitely see us from up there." Pope states, eyeing the balcony on the side of the house they were on.

"Who cares?" Kie fires back. "Should be glad I'm not setting the house on fire."

"Baby, can you hurry up?" Pope ushers, crouching beside his girlfriend.

Y/n nods. "Don't worry, almost done."

"Don't listen to him, Y/n/n." Kie tells her sister, glaring at the boy. "Doesn't it piss you off, even a little?"

"Of course it pisses me off." Pope hisses. "I'm just trying to channel my rage into different vectors right now, okay?

Y/n rises up from her crouched position, stepping back as Kie soon does the same thing. On the wall just around the Cameron house, the word 'MURDERERS' in all caps was painted onto the wall by the two girls. Because of how long they had been there, some of the paint had slowly begun dripping down a bit because it was wet.

"Not bad." Kie comments.

"Hey, I think somebody's up there." Pope points out, venturing to the wall. "Shit. It's Rafe."

The girls rush to the wall, Y/n being in-between the two as they followed his gaze. On the porch of his own home, Rafe Cameron stared at the three teenagers with a cold stare on his face as he didn't move a muscle. Both Pope and Y/n tensed up at the sight of him, remembering what he had done to Sheriff Peterkin.

"We know what you did!" Kie suddenly shouts. "Murderers!"

Seeing as she was gonna continue on and ignore their protests, Y/n grabbed ahold of her sister and began pulling her back with the help of her boyfriend. When Kie stopped and gave in, Pope grabbed his bag as they rushed back to the boat they had parked just a bit away. Pope turned the ignition on before they drove off onto the water.

As they drove, Y/n seated herself beside her boyfriend, their hands clasped together while Kie fumbled into her pockets, bringing out an already rolled blunt, a lighter in her other hand. Y/n couldn't help but sigh and roll her eyes as her sister inhaled some of the smoke. In all her life, Kiara Carrera was never one to smoke weed unless she was upset, but even then, she didn't do it often.

"Rafe is a psychopath. He could come after us." Pope reminds.

Kie shrugs carelessly. "Let him try."

"Look, I wanna pin Rafe as much as you both do, but--" Pope begins.

"Really?" Kie interrupts. "Cause you could have fooled me. Are you even a Pogue?"

"Kiara." Y/n firmly says, making her look at her. "Stop. You can't just ask if he's a Pogue or not just because he doesn't wanna do something that you wanna do."

"Look, I can't go around doing stupid things like this. We have school tomorrow. We should be focusing on laying low." Pope states.

Kie rolls her eyes. "So that's your plan, huh? You're just gonna crawl into your books, cram it down like nothing happened?"

"I went off the rails. And I lost my scholarship, and my best friend is dead. Getting high and overcompensating is not gonna help." Pope snaps.

Kie shrugs. "Helps me."

Once again, Y/n rolls her eyes, resting her head on Pope's shoulder as Kie walks around the boat carelessly, continuing to smoke the blunt that sat in-between her fingers. Pope glances down at his girlfriend, pressing a kiss to the top of her head as he continues to drive the boat along the water.