Chapter Fifteen

It's been a quarter moon since the gathering. And every cat in Thunderclan was acting as if nothing had changed.

Brackenpaw sat at the entrance to the apprentice den, glaring as cats did their usual duties around the camp. Over the last couple of sunrises, Pebblepaw and Autumnleaf trained ever day at the four trees with the other chosen ones.

Apparently Shadowclan still hasn't found Thistlepaw, causing only three of the chosen ones to continue training.
Brackenpaw had no idea what sort of training they were doing, but apparently it was intense. Every time Pebblepaw returned at sunset, she looked exhausted.

Brackenpaw sighed at the thought of the she-cat. She still refused to speak with him since he struck her at training.

I've apologized to her numerous times and she still refuses to accept it!

He hissed under his breath and gazed up at the sky where the sun shined high. Greenleaf was officially here.

The only other interesting things that had occurred since the gathering was the news of Doefoot now expecting kits with her mate Mossclaw. And a few sunrises ago was Silentpaw, Sunpaw, and Skypaw's warrior assessment. They apparently passed easily and were getting there warrior names any moment now.

Brackenpaw sighed.

Why did the leaders announce the chosen ones in front of all of the clans? Pebblepaw has been a reck since the gathering.

An idea struck him as he glanced at the elders den.

The elders will know the leaders way of thinking better than anyone in Thunderclan.

He began to pad towards the den, his tail in the air.

Hopefully they will be more helpful then they were last time I asked for answers...

Halfface and Claystripe were sitting outside their den, speaking to each other quietly.

"Brackenpaw. I had a feeling you would be back." Halfface meowed as the apprentice approached.

"Halfface." Brackenpaw huffed, dipping his head in greeting. "I had...a few questions to ask you both."

Halfface rolled his eyes and flicked his tail for him to continue.

"The leaders. Why did they tell all of the clans who the chosen ones are? They do realize how that impacted Pebblepaw?"

"Pebblepaw? Aren't you both not speaking to each other?" Claystripe meowed confusedly.

Brackenpaw turned to the other elder with a raised eyebrow.

"How did you know we aren't talking?"

"Us elders observe very closely when we sit around all day." Halfface purred.

"Well...I'm worried about her." Brackenpaw huffed.

There was a few moments of silence until Claystripe spoke up.

"Their scared, Brackenpaw. The leaders."

Brackenpaw blinked in surprise.

"Scared? But they're leaders of their clans! What could they possibly be scared of?"

The two elders glanced at each other before Claystripe nodded.

"Brackenpaw, tell me." Halfface meowed. "Have you ever heard of the...Great Battle?" The elder whispered the last part, glancing around the camp.

"The Great Battle?" Brackenpaw meowed.

"Keep your voice down!" Claystripe hissed.

Brackenpaw raised an eyebrow but stayed quiet.