Chapter 1

Bao's incense was almost out, and the moon almost reached its peak. Fitting since the Empress is from the Umbral Dragon Empire. Despite her accomplishment, she still felt stunned. She was getting what she wanted after years of being rejected by kingdoms but why this one? What does the Empress want with her?

Guilt washed over Bao when she remembered that she would leave everything behind, including Hana. Hana was happy for Bao but...

"Xue Lin Bao." Bao snapped back to reality, turning to see The Matron arrive in her room. "The Umbral Empire has come to take you."
Bao felt uneasy, unsure of her fate once she stepped off the island. But she was prepared to meet the world that was closed off to her for her whole life. "Yes, Madame Matron."

The Matron was surprised by Bao's strange, sullen attitude. She was usually resentful of those who left the island, never to be seen again. Or flighty, trying to catch up to veteran Maidens. The Matron was silent as Bao clutched her things, ready to leave.
The Matron sighed. "Good luck to you, Xue Lin Bao." Bao turned away quickly, hurrying off into the night. 'She's something.' The Matron mused. 'Something unique.'

Bao was guided by soldiers to the boat. Rocking back and forth on an invisible surface. Bao entered the boat, bowing to her superiors once she entered. "Hello, Supervisor Dao Li."
Li seemed less than enthused, clicking his tongue. "I don't know what the Empress sees in you."

"Huh?" Bao looked up to see Li. A clear distaste for her was clear on his face. "What are you gawking at, Maiden?"

Bao yelped quietly, looking down again.
Dao Li seemed annoyed by her reaction. "Why you—" He cut himself off, composing himself. "I'm here because the Empress summoned me, you're here because you're simply a tool." Bao stiffened at his words, taking them all to heart. "Remember that."

Bao gulped, looking down at the ground. She hated feeling like this. Whatever 'this' was. "Please don't make any commotion will you?" Dao Li instructed. "I have too much work to do." Before Bao could ask any questions, the door slammed in her face. Bao fancied the idea of her life outside of the small island she grew up in. Bao frowned. This was nothing like her fantasy of the outside world.

How would she act around these people? Was she supposed to pretend to be a different person? It was all so confusing, but then again, it's the only real option Bao has.
Bao sat down near the edge of the boat and watched as the water passed by. She took her thoughts to go back home. The home was where Hana, her best friend, was

She missed her dearly. Part of her wished Hana was here with her. 'But she will understand someday.' Bao thought as she continued to stare at the horizon. Bao eventually felt exhaustion take her. She didn't realize she never slept since the encounter with the Empress. She found a nearby seat to sit down on, resting her head on a nearby railing. She tried to picture what the palace looked like as her eyes grew heavy. She drifted to sleep soon after, forgetting all her worries as she went to sleep.

Bao woke up in the morning, her eyes blinking rapidly as she sat up. She wiped her eyes, yawning. The sunlight was intense. Like it was actively cooking you alive. Bao worked up a sweat grabbing her things. Bao heard a loud drum noise. She rushed to the front of the boat, seeing the populace gathered around the docks. The floor seemed to be made of stone and jewels.

Everyone had on colorful clothes and hair decorations in addition to jewelry. All the workers were decked in black and gold. They were all wearing various colored crowns on their heads. Their robes were all different sizes and shapes; they seemed to be some kind of uniform Bao assumed they wore. Bao looked around as she followed along with the crowd, not sure where to put her feet.

After a while, she saw the palace entrance up ahead.
"Back straight, Xue Lin Bao." Bao turned to see Li behind her. "The Emperor and Empress are here." Bao turned, seeding the gates open in front of her. Her eyes widened, seeing the Emperor and Empress enter to meet their guest. Bao saw the Empress's golden, dragon-like eyes glare at her. Bao could've sworn that the Empress smiled at her.