The Prophecy of the Four Druids

Cathbad, with Lir's help, managed to open a portal actually inside of New York City. Lir wasn't able to create the portal himself, but he had a better understanding of direction and location in the otherworld, and between his knowledge and the druid's scrying methods, they found the city Emery and Tess described. It helped that it was such a big and populous location.

Before they went out to the dolmen to transport themselves, they attempted to make some sort of plans. Six of them--Cullen, Emery, Cathbad, Tess, Lir, and Cearnach--sat in the otherwise empty feasting hall and drank some, spoke first of routine items, mostly what obligations and abilities Cearnach would have in Cullen's absence, where things were, which villagers would be honest and helpful, and so on.

"Should trouble arise with Conchobar," Cullen advised him, "remind him of what I've promised upon my return."

"What was that?" Cearnach asked.

"Keltar has delivered the message. Conchobar will know."

Emery eyed Cullen, but nobody questioned him.

"And you, Lir?" their chieftain went on.

Lir had foregone his white cloak for one of pale, shimmery blue. It reminded Emery of rippling water, as did the glimmery stones set into his multiple rings and hair. "My kin have avoided me. I have sought aid, but they've only delayed answer. They meet amongst themselves, and I sense they are troubled, but they exclude me for reasons I cannot fathom. I will continue to importune."

Emery, who'd put Charlie under a drinking horn on the other side of the hall (as far as she could manage before feeling discomfort), looked at her hands as she said, "So the plan is to find the building where they were; hopefully it will catch them off-guard."

"But you could also just be walking right into their hands, Em," Tess noted.

"What's the alternative, though? To sit here and wait?"

"We could. If anyone tries to take you, we could deal with them as they come."

"Lady Tess," Cullen interrupted, "your concern is fitting, and yet I have failed to keep Emery safe in such circumstances, more than once. I will not wait for her to be taken from me again. Whether it is wise or not to seek our enemy, only time will tell, but I cannot sit idle and hope to build walls around her."

"The least we can do," Cathbad added, "is prepare ourselves. I obtained my staff from my cottage, and while I have always been somewhat limited in my strengths, Lir has helped me regain some equilibrium, for this moment."

"If we do have to fight these things," said Emery, "they're huge, and they're freaky. And according to Charlie," (Cullen's eyes narrowed at the name), "they're super powerful ancient creatures. So if anything at all can defeat them, it'd have to be either the Gods themselves--and Lir seems to think they won't help--or magical weapons. Cullen has the Sword of Light and Gáe Bulg, and I have Lugh's Spear."

"We can't just walk through New York City with a bunch of weapons," Tess interjected.

Emery nodded. "I think we can, actually. Nobody will think they're real. They'll just assume we're cosplayers or larpers. That's what I thought Cearnach was when I first met him, and Cat, too. That city is full of strange people."

"So, then, we should wear these clothes? If we put on modern clothes and carry weapons, that will look worse."

"Good thinking, Tess. Yes," Emery agreed.

Cathbad was flustered. "Ladies, we will defer to you and your knowledge of clothing, for certain. But Emery, there is no hope for Lugh's Spear. It is far too dangerous a weapon to bring. The flame alone--"