Éogan

His name was Éogan. Emery found out the next day when she joined Tess and Cathbad and all of the Red Branch Knights in Conchobar's hall, not for a feast but for an audience. They stood before him, all of them, as he sat on his too-large throne attempting to look intimidating. The stranger from the night before was by his side, but everyone else was on the floor, looking at Conchobar on his platform, and beyond them were the king's soldiers and the men who had arrived with the stranger, differentiated by their all-black ensembles. The King seemed uglier than Emery remembered, even from only two days ago, but that was presumably because she now understood his intentions with her sister.

Cullen was absent, and Emery, anxious and relieved at the same time, wondered how that was possible, whether the King was all right with it, but her question was answered when Conchobar asked loudly where his nephew was, and Bricriu, bowing as low as his prematurely hunched back would allow him to, responded, "Back to Dun-Dealgan, my King," uncharacteristically offering no further explanation.

Conchobar looked to Emery, who gave him a blank stare in reply, and the King shrugged it off, although his blistering expression revealed he thought more of Cullen's actions than he was willing to say.

Emery herself was astonished at Bricriu's announcement. She stood there in turmoil, though none sensed it but her old serving woman, crouched behind her. Had Cullen really gone? How could he have left her? Of course, what evidence had she given him that she wanted him to stay? But then her heart leapt at the possibility that he might have gone to check on Naoise and Deirdre, to perhaps move them somewhere safer—oh, but what if he were caught? Conchobar would surely want his head in that case! It would certainly be treachery to so shamelessly thwart the King's wishes. So how could Cullen do such a thing without informing her? Deirdre was her sister, after all. And—

Tess suddenly elbowed her, and when Emery gave a bit of a yelp, her friend rolled her eyes toward the King. Emery realized he must have been talking to her. "Oh, I'm sorry—what were you saying?"

Conchobar scrunched his nose to show his annoyance, then turned to the man standing beside him. "You see, Éogan? His woman is addled."

The eye-patched, black-garbed brute grunted his agreement.

"I asked you about this sister of yours. Did you know she's the lover of a traitor to the King of Ulster?"

Emery gaped, sought the right words. He'd been so blunt! "I--I know she thinks she loves Naoise, and--and I know--at least I think I know that he loves her. But there can't be anything wrong with that. Two people in love should be together." She couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth. On the one hand, she absolutely believed that two people in love should be together. But on the other, she didn't think one of those people should be fifteen, no matter the fact that Deirdre was only slightly younger than she was when she'd met Setanta.

"But when you came to me, Lady Emer, it was to free your sister from this traitor, am I not correct?"

She really didn't like the word he was using for Naoise--traitor. "I--I thought she was too young." Emery looked at the ground, but then she caught herself. "I was wrong, though! I thought he'd kidnapped her or lied to her, but now I realize that it's not true; they seem to love one another. So you can call all of this off, all right? I am so, so sorry for having you bring all your Knights here, but now I know that my perceptions were incorrect, as usual. You know me--addled." She said the last part jokingly, making circles near her head with her finger, hoping Conchobar would laugh along with her and lighten the mood, but he was clearly not in good humor.

The King glared at her, pulled on his thick black beard. "Your husband, Lady--why did he leave without you?"

The question took her by surprise. "I . . ."