Emery Plays a Cruel Game

Emery and her serving woman were given lodgings in a small but comfortable house not too far from the King's main dwelling. Conchobar had explained that the three giant buildings in the center of Emain Macha were all his houses: Craobh Dearg, where battle trophies were held (including the countless heads); Téite Brec, where warriors' weapons and other battle gear were stored; and Craobh Rua, where he lived and where the Red Branch stayed when they came. He referred to the Red Branch Knights as his own--as Emery had implied when talking to him--but surely he knew (and knew that she knew) the Red Branch were more Cullen's men than his. The Knights came when King Conchobar called, but Cullen was their leader, and they'd more likely do as he asked if it conflicted with what Conchobar asked. Fortunately, requesting they return to Emain Macha couldn't engender much contention.

But more concerning to Emery than whether or not the Red Branch would be irritated to be called was the likelihood that she'd see Cullen. She'd thought that she'd have a few days to prepare her reaction, what she'd say to him, and as she bathed that evening (after insisting her serving woman wait outside the house), she figured she could put off the inevitable at least that night and try to enjoy the feast Conchobar had decided to hold in honor of some wine merchants who'd offered to present samples of their wares. When she'd re-dressed herself, she told Charlie to come back in.

He changed into his handsome, youthful self the minute he entered, but Emery saw he wore fitting attire now, nothing modern. She was briefly taken aback at how well his blue and red and black checked cloak suited him, how it pulled out the color in his eyes, and how charming his curls were as they brushed the tops of his shoulders, now, but then he spoke, and she remembered she hated him.

"You know it's probably too late for your sister, don't you think?"

Emery adjusted the leather straps across her body, said absently, "You know, I really should have a sword."

"You wouldn't know how to use one."

"I might; I knew how to throw a dagger and a spear."

"Throwing things is a little different than sword fighting. It takes skill."

"Emer did have some skills. I've been finding out my body just kind of remembers them, like horseback riding." Emery turned to Charlie. "I heard you, though, about Deirdre. And I hope it isn't too late. She's fourteen! Fifteen, if she's had her birthday since I last saw her."

He sat down on a covered pallet beside the fire. "How'd you know it was Naoise?"

Emery sighed. "Because a while ago, at a banquet, he pulled me aside to ask about Deirdre. He wanted to know whether she was spoken for, or something, and when I told him to forget about her, he just kept pushing. He asked whether I knew how to open the portal! I had to just walk away from him. And when I saw his description in her journal, I knew he'd found a way. He must've gotten someone to get the portal going for him." She thought for a moment. "Do you think he'll come? Here, I mean?"

"If he doesn't, Conchobar will lose it. Now that he knows she's attractive, he won't be happy until he sees her."

"Why'd you tell him that? He's a total creep."

"That's why. He wouldn't care about finding your sister if he didn't think there was something in it for him."

Emery was at first angry, but she knew Charlie was probably right, so she chose not to argue. They'd just have to let things play out. "Why did you change? Aren't you going to be my old woman, again?"

He stared at her, didn't answer, but did suddenly morph back into the old woman.

Emery just shook her head. "All right. Let's go."