Foul Wench

The Red Branch arrived at Emain Macha throughout the day; Emery heard a lively commotion outside the King's roundhouse each time one appeared, though she didn't leave her own dwelling. She knew that Tess would tell her if Naoise or his brothers came. They'd spoken some that morning, after Emery took a bath and ate a little. Apparently, Tess was under the impression that Cullen had come in too aggressive with his questions after both she and Cathbad had tried to warn him that Emery would need patience and time—that whatever she'd been through, she shouldn't be forced to discuss it until she was ready. And obviously, Cullen hadn't waited. He'd run off the minute they'd heard of Emery's arrival in Emain Macha, and he'd found and approached her impetuously. Tess had no love for his methods, after finding Emery so ill, and had furiously told Cathbad to tell him to stay away from his wife entirely, until his wife wanted to see him.

Emery was secretly thankful for Tess, though not for the reasons her friend mentioned. Under normal circumstances, she would have run to Cullen as desperately as he'd run to her, but as it was, she needed him to stay away, and Tess's edict gave her the time she needed to process everything.

Cathbad came to see her, as well, that afternoon. Emery was so, so glad to see him, and yet the strictures that had held her back with Cullen would hold her back with him and Tess, as well. But at least the druid wasn't going to try to pry answers out of her; Tess had been as clear with him as she'd been with Cullen. Emery had never been so grateful for Tess and her newfound authority.

Charlie hadn't presented as Charlie all day, Emery noticed. In fact, she wasn't sure Tess and Cathbad even realized the old serving woman was Charlie. The way Tess had ordered him to make up Emery's bath and then kicked him out while they chatted indicated she hadn't a clue the wrinkled little crone was her former brother. When Emery thought of it, she doubted that Cullen knew, either. She wondered what he'd told Tess and Cathbad, if anything. He wasn't one to discuss his conversations and encounters.

When Emery told Tess and Cathbad about Deirdre and Naoise, neither was surprised. In fact, they exchanged a glance that meant they already knew about it.

"We wondered why Conchobar called the Red Branch," Cathbad said, sitting with Tess across the firepit from Emery, who was huddled in her fur cloak. "But we weren't surprised."

"You knew?"

"That Naoise had gone after Deirdre?" the druid asked, adding, "Yes. We'd heard it from his brothers."

Emery looked from him to Tess. "And you didn't do anything?"

"What could we do?" Tess said apologetically. "By the time Ainle told us of his brother's plan, it'd already happened."

"I am at fault, somewhat," Cathbad admitted, hunched over and playing nervously with his hands. Both girls looked at him. Emery thought he, too, was different, now--more steady, less frazzled. And he'd foregone the round cap he'd used to wear, as his hair seemed to have fine crystals growing in it along with the moss. "I had some idea that Naoise was looking for a way back," the druid explained. "He'd asked me whether I could reopen the portal for him, and he was upset when I refused. We were so preoccupied with your disappearance that I neglected to keep eyes on him. I can only assume he found another druid to open it. An unethical one, I'd wager."

Emery sighed. "Well, I might have made things worse with all this. Conchobar seemed more interested in seeing Deirdre than I'd like."

"Yes. He tends toward prurience; surely he would try to claim the right of the first night with her."

"But Naoise planned for that," Tess began. "It seems he was inspired by Cullen and you, Em. He planned to elope so the King couldn't claim his right. I spoke with his brothers only a few days ago, and they said he and Deirdre have gone North into hiding. He won't come back for Conchobar."