Devin is facing the side of me; I'm not looking at him but in my peripheral vision I see him tilt his head in question. "Silver?" The confusion dances on his tongue.

"Yeah, that's something that most places recognize as money. Deflation hit a while ago, since then Federal Silver is what is mainly used." He nods slowly, taking in the information I give him. I see glimpses of the dollar in my mind's eye.

"What was it over there?" I ask, our eyes meeting.

His shoulders go up. "Just the regular ol' dollar." His lips move into a small smirk and I can't help but return, I'm not sure why this banter warrants this reaction—but I float with it.

Tom's beaming voice draws me away from his eyes. "I don't have much to say at this moment other than the lists of duties are written out for everyone. Get them and do them accordingly, daylight is getting thinner so people going to the markets are to do it before sunset. Don't forget to report to a guard for a headcount before and after you leave. Have a nice afternoon everyone." His tone lingers on irritation as he dismisses the masses and steps down from the podium. The Liberties file in a row parallel to the podium with papers held tight in their hands. Bodies begin to file inline in front of each of them to receive their slip of duty for the week.

As we line up I think to myself I would hate to have to be a part of the communications team. Hand writing each person's list of duties, and having to do that each week. My mind grows tired at just the thought.

I step up to Austin—one of the many guards, and he reads the top paper to me. "Ooo, dinner dish duty. You're favorite!" His green eyes light with sarcasm, as he raises a brow. The wrinkles form on his forehead from the stretch in skin, you can see though it is not from age but from stress. Molded by the lifestyle.

"You really know how to please a girl." I take the paper from him and fold it into my pocket, stepping past the line as Devin follows.

"Do I need one?" He asks.

"Nah, not till next week. Count your blessings though, you don't want to get bathrooms." I chuckle to him, weaving through a crowd of people disbursing.

"I'm planning on scouting out the territory, seeing what's around," I shout over my shoulder to him, as we enter through the arch of the crowded stairwell. Following the natural stream of people going up them, I don't glance behind me as I assume he is following my heels.

Reaching the top step and entering our room it holds Blake and Allison sitting on the small cot one of them uses. Both of their attentions raise to us, dropping the conversation they were engaged in. The light blue light above shines on their faces as they look up at us.

"Sorry, I was just getting my stuff." I apologize for the interruption as I put my hands up in defense, stepping farther into the room for my satchel sat on the floor next to my cot. Their uncomfortable energy follows me and fills the room, leaving a moment of silence behind it.

"You're fine, we were just getting up to leave ourselves," Blake says.

Facing away from them to pick up my bag, the shadow of Blakes silhouette casts itself on the floor between my feet. I turn to see Allison's confused brow that's shaded by her kinked curls fixed on Blake, the look is only set on him for a few seconds and then fades from her eyes.

"Oh, yeah. I completely forgot you had post duty to get to." She says, taking his hand and stepping around Devin positioned in the doorframe.

I scoff under my breath at our interaction... Why would you pick a room you'd be uncomfortable in? I think to myself.

"Ooookay," Devin draws out the o, obviously stiff in stature. My lips move into a smile for him, and I adjust the strap on my shoulder as the weight of the bag weighs down my shirt.