The Prince and Princess were announced and led to the breakfast table. His Majesty was already seated, sipping from a jeweled goblet. They bowed to him and sat to eat, loading their plates with fresh fruit, different kinds of tostadas, magdalenas, and a tortilla de patatas (Spanish omelet). A servant poured them all cups of freshly brewed coffee.

Once everything had been sorted out and they were into the meal, breakfast conversation began. Mary decided now was as good a time as any to discuss his mother. She picked up her coffee mug, took a sip, and placed it back down. Just as the Princess started opening her mouth, Charles slipped his hand to her thigh and squeezed. Her eyes grew as round as the rim of her mug, and she inclined her head to him. He subtly shook his head no.

Instead, the Prince asked, "Your Majesty, I heard you enjoy tennis. Would you fancy a round with me?"

The somber-looking Emperor chuckled. "I do enjoy it from time to time. Why yes, today would be a good day for a match. Although I no longer play due to my knee. However, my son Philip loves the game as much as I do. If you consent, he could play in my place." The Prince nodded his approval. "Good. Now, I know you enjoy hunting. I have some exceptional hunting dogs I think you might be interested in."

Charles nodded. "I do appreciate a hunt. I'd like very much to see your dogs." The two began talking about sports and hunting.

While they conversed, Mary ate her breakfast. She knew her husband had saved her from blundering the morning by talking about the Dowager Queen. The rest of the meal was pleasant without forced conversation or topics too delicate that would throw the whole balance off.

When breakfast ended, Charles went with the Emperor to view the dogs. Before he left, he kissed his wife's cheek. Then followed the Emperor through the palace maze and outside to the kennels. It's there, the Prince caught a glimpse of the true Emperor--- the man behind the title. The elder Royal got down on his knees, not caring a bit about dirt on his hose. Through each kennel enclosure, he petted every dog in the section.

In Charles's opinion, there is nothing quite like the love of an animal. All the world over, an animal must be the most reasonable friend. They ask no questions and pass no judgments. They're full of love even on your worst day. And on that worst day, it can snap you out of a bad mood. The world would be better off if people could love as unconditionally as animals do.

As he stood up, His Majesty motioned for Charles to come over. The man began showing off his prized dogs. The two went through the barn-like building kennel by kennel, where the Emperor told him about each kind. "This first breed here is the Spanish Galgo. The Galgo is easily confused with the Greyhound over there." He pointed to a kennel a few ways down and finished by saying, "While the two have similar looks and temperament, Galgos have much more speed, agility, stamina, and a high prey drive. It makes them a wonderful hunting dog."

Then the Prince was shown the Majorcan Bulldog. His Majesty informed him, "This dog is much mistreated. It's been used for sports like bullbaiting and dogfighting. Quite shameful, considering the breed is devoted to its family and has a loving spirit and playful nature." The man reached out and petted a spirited one.

From there, the two continued to move down the row. They skipped over the regular hounds to see the Ibizan Hounds, where Charles learned the dog originated from the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain. They're beautiful dogs, and what with the avid hunter he is, the Prince loves a good hound.

The Emperor motioned around the kennel with his right hand. "Choose. You hunt and enjoy it as much as I do. You can never have too many hunting dogs. So this is my gift to you. No strings attached. Choose."

His Highness blinked several times in wonder, and his eyebrows raised to the roof. When the surprise wore off, he acknowledged, "Your Majesty, this is a very gracious gift. Thank you. It's hard to choose because they're all magnificent animals. I find myself torn between the Galgo and the Ibizan Hound." He walked back and forth between the two different kennels admiring the two breeds.