"Sure he is annoying but, there is something about him. Despite how much I disliked him in the beginning because of his cockiness, he has always been there for me without him knowing. And I am so grateful to be seeing this loving side of him. I don't think it could have been anyone else." She stared at the back of her hands, avoiding my eyes.

My heart skipped a gentle beat. Only if it was true. My eyes were fixed on hers. Her hair settled on one side. I felt a current rush through me when our eyes met again. She smiled at me and I noticed grandma's stare fumbling between us.

"What about you?" Grandma pointed at me, stuffing her mouth.

"If I knew, I might have just pushed her away. But it was just her. Everything about her. Her peach lips to her sarcastic remarks. They make me feel alive. They make me want to live and not just survive." I smiled at grandma and then some normal talks started.

I could feel the tension that was building between us. Whenever I would catch her staring at me or our eyes would accidentally meet, there was something weird. Something I didn't quite enjoy.
After we were done with lunch, both the ladies decided to get dressed. I was passing my time doing work.

I walked to my room to get stuff when I found Ashley putting on some makeup. I leaned against the doorframe and knocked. "May I?" I asked and she looked over her shoulder. She had changed into a beautiful lavender knee length shirt-dress. She was standing there barefoot, looking rather short.

She nodded and I walked inside towards my suitcase. I placed it onto the bed. "If by any change granny asks you way personal questions, just tell her you  aren't comfortable sharing. She is a cunning woman, she could blow your cover." I warned her.

The sound of the zipper being opened echoed through the silence. She put on some scent and turned around. I eyed her. "Quite surprised seeing you put efforts. Are you into Rachel? The old lady?" I smirked at her.

"Are you jealous that I don't put effort for you? Also, I don't want to ruin my day talking to you so.. bye." She was about to walk outside but how could I let her have the last word. I grabbed her wrist and she turned her head, frowning. I pulled her in, staring deep into those brown eyes of hers.

"I am never jealous Ashley. At-least not of things that are not mine. If you were mine, I'd show you how possessive I could get but until you are not, I don't give a damn. Go enjoy yourself!" I nodded at her and she instantly pulled away. I watched her storm off. That was satisfying.

The rest of the day passed quick, I checked my emails and work updates. That's what I could do all day. I was getting constant updates on the "ladies" date as grandma was sending me every picture she had taken. Some of Ashley and some cute selfies. I was so used to it but seeing Ashley getting involved more and more was so unfamiliar to me.

It felt heavy on my chest. I couldn't focus because all I thought about was the past. How we used to be, how we bonded and then one day, it all went downhill. All because of her stupid dare games. If that day I hadn't gone out with her, I wouldn't have to suffer alone.

I decided to take a walk outside, to distract myself. I stepped down the porch as I made my way towards the park at a distance. The golden sun shone during the evening. As soon as I stepped inside the park, I saw Ashley, she was laying there facing the sky. Her eyes closed and she was still. I ran away but then as if a circle, I came right back at the same point. Her.

I noticed grandma chatting with some of her old friends. I chuckled. The old lady had completely forgotten about the young company so soon. I walked inside, taking a seat beside Ashley. My body casting a shadow on her face. She didn't move yet I heard her mutter my name.

"It's you right?" She opened her eyes and looked at me. A frown bloomed on her face. "I know the pungent perfume is yours." She stated and got up. Her long brown hair flowed with her head as she shook it. Gathering them up in her hands and swiftly made a bun.

I didn't retort back. I didn't want to. I just stared at her. I noticed her expression change as she gulped lightly placing her hand over her belly before she stared at nothing. Her frown not once leaving her face as she waited a couple more seconds before she finally spoke. "Can you bring granny with you? I think I got my period, I will go first." She hurriedly stood up and I noticed her stumble as she ran away quick. I couldn't even react. It was all so quick.

I looked back at grandna who noticed my presence and quickly excused herself, hurrying in my direction. "What happened to Ashley? Where is she?"

"She did a rain check. Maybe she got her period. I am not sure." I said as a matter of fact. Grandma nodded her head before she handed me her shopping bags.

"I will get home later. Take these with you, these ladies are discussing a trip next month. I might as well join them so I will go listen. You go and put everything in the kitchen, in its place." She chided and walked away. What the hell? Why was everyone just walking away without giving me a chance to speak up?

I sighed and walked back home. A smile played on my lips seeing grandma happy. Not long ago she was complaining on her phone everyday wanting to see ne. Here I was, and there she was. I shook my head, feeling better.
*
*
*
After I was done completing the task. I knew one thing, it felt good to do things other than work. How long has it been since I have done the simple job like such by myself. Grandma returned and soon we were both indulged in cooking the dinner. It was like this since my childhood and I could feel my chest getting lighter as I laughed and enjoyed her company.

It was just her presence that made my day and especially being with her made me feel that yes, there was someone for me. She was the only one in my family who meant anything for me, more than myself. It reminded me of how good life could be and how one can live it.

"Go and call Ashley, I'd serve." She nudged and I nodded. The smile disappeared at the mention of her name. Everything was perfect and then her. I sighed and turned on my foot. But I almost forgot about her, she hadn't stepped down ever since she came back.

I quickly walked upstairs. I knocked on the door but heard nothing. I slowly pushed it open and noticed she had curled herself in a ball as she laid there on the bed, still in her shirt dress. I couldn't help but wonder if she was fine. I walked closer and called her name.

She opened her eyes and looked at me. Red eyes, fuck. I hated when I saw those teary eyes. She quickly turned her back to me. "What is it Alex?" I sighed, cocky much, immature.

"Dinner?" One words were best to avoid arguments.

"I'd skip. I don't feel like eating anything." She muttered and dipped her head low. I stood there in case she'd change her answer. Wasn't food her favourite thing? She was a foodie? There was no matter that I had never settled with food!

"It's pasta, nicotine."