Chapter five

Selena

I was in a forest, which smelt of rain and soil. There were pine trees, it felt like it was not longer after it had rained. I was still wearing the same clothes but I had company.

Mom. She was sitting in a wooden chair her hands tied to her behind. What bothered me was her white stained dress. She looked like she was struggling to untie herself when I tried to help her she looked at me with a look I didn't recognise.

No, it was not the look, this was a complete different person. Her eyes were as pale green as mine. She was the same woman that had haunted my dreams since my eighteenth birthday, which was last year. She was my biological mother! And she was trying to warn me about something.

“Silent, run they are coming for you!” It wasn't the first time she called me Silent but what bothered me was that now she was breathing faster than normal.

I ignored her and continued untieng her from the rope and when I did, I helped her to stand up.

But I heard something from the other direction coming for us and I turned to Mom to tell her to run but to find her laying dead on the grass. I screamed and woke up from the dream.

The door opened and Anita came in.

“Selena, are you okay?” she asked as she sat next to me into the bed.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I couldn't remember the last time I had a nightmare but it didn't leave me as restless as this one. Maybe because I didn't remember it.

“I had this strange dream ( don't want to call it a nightmare since I lost all the details).”

“How's your hand? Do you feel any pains?” she asked

“No. I'm fine, thank you for asking.”

“Pleasure, why don't you bath and meet me in the kitchen. I already made us breakfast.” she said and exited the room.

I slided out of bed, and went to the bathroom. I took a shower and didn't even try to look appealing.

I sighed when I thought about yesterday. Only God knew I didn't want to be responsible for another death.

I had my first kill when I was barely eight.

He was my mother's boyfriend at that time only that she didn't know that he was werewolf and Dragon's men (Scorpion's late uncle).

I had sensed something but I didn't want to come into their relationship. When I killed him, I finally knew that I wasn't a human no human being could've killed a werewolf in a full moon with a knife and feel no emotion. I demanded questions from my mother only to find out the person I have been calling my mom for eight years wasn't my biological mother. But she never stopped meaning the world to me.

I found Mark when I was fifteen, at that time I was glad to find someone like me. I got to know Anita through Mark.

We became best friends and she taught me to play the game. I was a fast learn, when Mark saw I was determined he taught me other mind games. I soon became better until I could beat Anita in every game.

I went to visit my mother in the hospital. Doctor Solomon was busy that she didn't tell me how she was doing but the nurse told me everything I needed to know before allowing me to her ward.

And there she was, looking pale and sick. She gave me a big smile that I worried she would hurt herself. I sat on the next to her and holded her hand.

“Mama, how are you feeling?” I asked concerned

“I feel much better that you're here.” she said and touched me face

“You look beautiful. You know when I saw your mother I thought she was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.”

She was trying to be strong for me but I didn't want that.

“How does it feel like?” I asked her and she sighed and looked at the ceiling.

She took a moment before she responded.

“Cold. Only that it gets darker.

“Do you know what's funny about the darkness? It feels like home. It crept into your mind and manipulate it until you feel nothing but cold, a freezing cold. It feels like death, Selena. A painful one, I didn't want to tell you this but....”

I couldn't hold the tears that fell freely on my face. I should've been the one on the bed, feeling all this pain. She stopped talking when she felt the tears in my face. She wiped them with her hand.

“Don't cry Selena,” she said under her breath

“Do you ever think that if you haven't ran away from your family just to raise me, this wouldn't have happened?”

“I made many mistake Selena, but fighting all the odds just to see you grow old isn't one of them.” she said and turned to look at me, “Don't you ever doubt that.”

“I just feel like.... I don't know. But I will never doubt your love for me.”

“You're getting thin day by day. Don't let my condition get to you, alright.” she said after a few seconds.

“Mom. I'm going to get you out of here. Even if it's the last thing I do.” I promised her because I was the reason she was here in the first place.

“Don't do anything I wouldn't do”, she said.

Her words stayed with me as I left the hospital. I saw a black van in the parking lot and the windows rolled up but not without me catching that sandy blond hair.

Why was he following me but I wouldn't get the answers if he ran away so I quickly went to the van and opened the door when I was in I took a knife and placed it in his neck.

“Explain yourself!” I shouted at him.

“What?”

“Don't play games with me Connor. Why are you following me?”

“I can't talk with a knife in my neck.”

I took the knife off his neck and took him by his chin.

“Look here cheeseboy. I'm someone you shouldn't mess with. If I see your cute face again, I will fix it with a fist.”

I said and opened the door.

“Look! I want to help you.” he said, “I can heal your mother.”

Who was this stranger? I was young but not naive, and I wanted my mother's health more than anything I ever wanted in life. I would give everything for her to live and this stranger was willing to make her live. But what was he willing to take or did he just merely wanted help.

I looked at those cold green eyes and knew I was in deep trouble. He knew what I was and he was going for it. I shouldn't have been that careless and Mark warned me about it but...

“What do you want from me?” I asked

He smiled and gave me his card, “Think about what I said and call me.”

He was a man of few words, which only meant two things he didn't talk he acted which made him dangerous or that he was loyal and only took orders but still dangerous to me.

I took the card from him just to be polite. His hand tugged a strand of hair behind my eye before whispering, don't forget my preposition.

______________________________

***Sending love with a picture of our Faith Nkentsi (as Anita) above👆