Tarzana Defies Kerchak/The Truth

Normal speech

Thoughts

Talking aloud to self

Phil Collins Singing

Monkey language

A rustling in the bushes is heard as Terk and Tantor appear tumbling down a jungle hill. John notices that Terk is wearing his suit.

John: Is that my suit?

Tarzana calls out in dread. She knows that if her friends are here that can only mean that Kerchak isn't far behind.

Tarzana: Oh, no.

To make matters worse Tarzana's assumption was correct. Behind Terk and Tantor is Kerchak, who's surprised to see the humans in the nesting grounds with the gorillas. Tarzana takes a protective stance in front of them. She tries to calmly talk to Kerchak.

John: Oh, Father.

Clayton fights with the gorilla who stole his rifle. Once Clayton breaks his rifle free from the gorilla who stole it, he then goes to shoot the gorilla.

Clayton: Give it to me! Huh?

Kerchak attacks Clayton feeling threatened by the rifle. He knocks the rifle away before Clayton can shoot him. He then pins Clayton to the ground. Tarzana goes to stop him.

Tarzana: No!

As she tries to stop Kerchak, she tackles him to the ground so that Clayton can escape. He crawls over to John and Porter. Tarzana tries to hold Kerchak back, but he throws her away. He looks to her in anger before turning on Tarzana's human friends. He charges at them but before he can reach them Tarzana grabs him by the neck, starting to strangle him. Kerchak fights to break her hold, but he can't reach her. Tarzana calls to them with adrenaline pumping.

Tarzana: Go!

They start to run off, but John stops concerned about Tarzana's safety.

John: Wait! Wait! Tarzana!

She yells to him while struggling to keep her hold on Kerchak.

Tarzana: Go now!

Porter: John, quickly! Hurry! Come on.

John drags his son away knowing that Tarzana can only hold the alpha silverback off for so long. Tarzana then hears Kerchak struggling to breathe. She lets go of Kerchak. He is breathing heavily as the family watches. Kala has a mortified look on her face. Tarzana looks at her hands in horror as to what she almost did to her father. She tries to apologize.

Tarzana: Kerchak, I didn't...I'm sorry, I...

Kerchak looks to her in utter disappointment.

Kerchak: I asked you to protect our family, (He sighs in sorrow.) and you betrayed us all. I hope your happy with your choice.

Tarzana: I...

Guilt is etched onto her face as tears threaten to fall. Tarzana runs away ashamed by her actions. Kala watches while knowing that Tarzana would never intentionally hurt anyone. After everything that has happened Kala knows what she must do. She must confess something to Tarzana that she had hidden for the past 18 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun has long since set from her fight with Kerchak. All alone, Tarzana stands on a branch watching from a great distance as the ship that John will take gets ready to leave. She holds onto a vine tightly trying to find comfort as dried tears are seen on her face. She's being pulled into two different worlds. One that she has lived in all her life, with her family and friends. The other a new world full of things she doesn't fully understand and John. John is part of the new world she has begun to learn about. He is kind and sweet, and makes her stomach feel like she's swallowed a dozen butterflies. While fighting her internal battle, Kala approaches her. Knowing who it is without looking Tarzana talks to her mom, voice hoarse.

Tarzana: I'm so confused.

Kala sighs in defeat.

Kala: Come with me. There's something I should've shown you long ago.

They head off into the jungle. By the time they reach their destination, Kala brings Tarzana to the tree-house where she found her many years ago.

The two stand at the doorway of the treehouse. Tarzana looks to her mom for an answer but all she does is nod her head and gesture for her to go inside. Being cautious Tarzana goes in and begins to look around it. The place smells something familiar to her. She walks over to the crib barricade that Kala originally found her in. She sees a little pink blanket and lifts it up smelling it. Her eyes widen as she begins to recognize the touch of the blanket and smell herself on it. While holding the blanket close to her she looks at the surrounding of the tree-house. Kala comes up to her and watches her daughter reaction. All of a sudden, Tarzana steps on a picture frame. She looks at it curiously as she picks it up. Noticing dust covering the image she cleans the dust. She can see a baby picture along with her parents. The baby looks familiar to her, then she voices her thoughts as she begins to understand.

Tarzana: Is this me? (Kala sighs and nods.) Then this is my father, and, and my...

Tarzana now realizes that her mom isn't her real mother. That she was adopted by her. She looks to Kala for confirmation.

Kala: Now you know. Tarzana, I just want you to be happy, whatever you decide.

Kala walks outside, letting her daughter to grieve her biological parents and to choose her own path. Tarzana looks to her mom's retreating figure sadly. She turns to look back at the photo of her real parents and cries. Although she never knew them she mourns her parents death. She cries for what could have been and what was. Tarzana is who she is because of what happened but she's also in the middle of two worlds. She loves her mother and would wish for nothing to happen to her.

Kala sits outside waiting for her daughter's decision looking downcast. Her head perks up as she hears Tarzana walking over to her. Sighing in hesitation of what she may see she turns around. Tarzana walks out of the tree-house dressed in a civilized outfit. She wore her biological mother's dress as Kala sniffs in despair. Tarzana looks to her mom in understanding. She walks over to her mother as she sees tears fill her eyes. A single tear falls, and Tarzana wipes it away. She crouches down so she is eye to eye with her mom before gently grabbing her face to look at her.

Tarzana: No matter where I go, no matter who I meet, you will always be my mother. (Tarzana hugs her mom tight has silent tears fall from her eyes too.)

Kala sighs in sorrow and weeps.

Kala: And you will always be in my heart.

The two look into each other's eyes seeing the tears they were both shedding. They hug once more knowing that they may never see each other again. Tarzana kisses Kala on the forehead and starts to walk off both keeping touch by one hand. She then walks off as Kala watches.

Kala: Goodbye, Tarzana.

More tears fill her eyes as she lets her daughter go find her own path.