Kala's Discovery/A Narrow Escape

Normal speech

Thoughts

Talking aloud to self

Phil Collins Singing

Kala makes her way to the house, pushing the door open and heading inside. The house is a mess as if someone or something has torn the entire place apart. Windows are broken, and fabric in pieces. Kala speaks up softly.

Kala: What happened here?

Kala steps over a rifle who's bullets have been fired. Suddenly, she spots something. Two bodies that are somewhat shielded by a table. As she looks closer the wind blows causing the feathers that were scattered on the floor to move away uncovering bloody paw-prints on the floor. She swiftly backs off stepping on what sounds like glass.

Kala looks down and spots what she stepped on, a picture frame. Taking a look, she sees it is of two adults and a baby. The man is dressed in a suit while the woman has a beautiful blouse and skirt on. Kala presumes that the bodies belong to the couple.

Kala: Where's the baby?

Just then, she hears a baby crying from a crib nearby barricaded by clothes and other fabrics. She walks towards it and looks in. A pink blanket is inside, covering something. The covered creature wriggles underneath the blanket while crying out. Curiously, Kala uncovers the blanket. Underneath is the baby girl who is crying. Her blue-green eyes puffy from crying and tear stains on her face. The baby girl stops as she sees the gorilla looking at her, and coos curiously. Kala speaks up in slight reverence and love.

Kala: Well hello little one.

Kala takes a closer look at the baby sniffing the baby to see if she has been injured. Suddenly, the girl sneezes on her, causing her to back off and rub her face where she was sneezed on. Kala gets confused as the baby squeaks happily at her, raising her hands up obviously wanting to be held. She picks her up by the leg bringing her closer to her. She places the baby on her back leg holding her there. Kala uses her finger to lift the baby's diaper up and then sniffs the diaper. She recoils in disgust. The baby needed to be changed.

Kala hears the baby making a noise and turns her to face her. The baby looks at Kala, making bubbles with her mouth. Kala chuckles and bursts the bubbles, making the baby coo. Then the baby puts her tiny hands on Kala's face, making her grin. This is the first time something other than a baby gorilla has touched her face. The baby's hands accidentally slip up into Kala's nostrils. Kala shakes it off, not really phased. She lifts a finger up as the baby reaches out a hand to hold it. Kala then places a hand on the baby's hand. She grins once more as the baby touches her hands, cooing. Kala holds the child warmly in her arm, as the baby yawns and cuddles into her. Kala looks on lovingly, quickly attached to the baby. Kala talks to the baby in silent whispers.

Kala: I will love you with all my heart. You won't be alone again.

Basking in the revelry Kala has a peaceful look come across her face. As fate would have it, she would not be able to enjoy the moment for long. A shadow flickers above Kala causing a sense of foreboding to overcome her. From the corner of her eye Kala notices something yellow. She sniffs the air smelling something familiar and looks up. Sure enough, it's Sabor. She has returned to see if she has missed anything. And sure enough, she sees the baby in Kala's grasp and plans to kill her. From her perch in the rafters she growls menacingly.

Sabor pounces from the rafter towards Kala and the baby to attack. Kala gets out of the way, holding the baby as Sabor follows her trying to attack them. She does her best to keep the baby from being harmed by her. Kala holds herself against the wall unable to escape. Sabor tackles her, which results in the wall breaking. The three fall right onto a tent canopy below. Kala tries to escape while holding the baby, but Sabor continues her attack, going after the two. She tries to slash her, only to get the tent instead. The canopy ribs open causing them all fall to the floor. The fall shocks Kala allowing for Sabor to seize her moment. Sabor charges and starts to wrestle with Kala.

Soon Sabor pins Kala to the wood while Kala holds her by her neck keeping the baby out of Sabor's reach. With a growl, Sabor slashes her face, forcing her to let the baby go, causing her to fall to the net below the platform. Kala gasps in fear while Sabor sees her and growls pleasantly. Sabor abandons her attack on Kala to go after the baby, but before she can get to the netting Kala tackles her, holding her in place. Looking through a crack, Kala sees the baby rolling down the net. Sabor then begins to struggle out of Kala's grasp, managing to slash her in the face again. Sabor then jumps down onto the netting and stalks after the baby. Staring through the crack again Kala sees the baby girl rolling down on the net. The girl giggles not knowing of the danger she is in as she continues to roll with Sabor after her.

Kala gets up and looks for the baby through the center mast hole. The baby eventually comes to a stop on the netting. The baby raises her hands as she chuckles at Kala. Kala looks terrified as she sees Sabor. Luckily, Sabor is having difficulty moving due to the net. Kala reaches down for the baby while Sabor tries to get her before Kala can save her. Kala can't reach the baby girl. Sabor finally manages to get close enough to make her move on the baby. Kala gasps as the leopard jumps towards the baby, but she only ends up missing, making the baby bounce on the net. Sabor becomes tangled in the netting from her attempt. Thinking quick Kala reaches for the baby, thankfully managing to grab her by the diaper. Frantically, Kala tries to pull her through the hole but it's too small. The baby bounces off the board happily. Still tangled, Sabor makes to slash at her, but the net snaps, almost making her fall to her doom.

In one attempt of saving the baby the diaper slides between two boards. Kala tests it intentionally and sees that it works. She proceeds to take the diaper and slip it between the two boards going towards the edge. As she slides the baby to the edge Sabor pulls herself back onto the netting. Kala gets the baby to the edge bringing her up into her arms. A motherly smile is on her face, relieved to see the baby alright. But then, she hears a snarl. She turns around and sees Sabor breaking through the wooden platform. Kala looks over the side and sees a huge drop. It seems like the two are trapped.

That is, until Kala sees a boat on a pulley. Once Sabor gets through, she growls as she chases after the gorilla, who runs to the boat. Kala jumps in, causing it to drop to the ground below. The frustrated Sabor looks down and plans to get them but is unaware that her back leg is standing in a pile of rope that wraps around her carrying her upward. For a while, it seems that the gorilla and the child will crash, but soon the boat stops close to the ground. Kala grins as she gets out of it. She looks up to see Sabor roaring, as she is all tangled up by the ropes. Kala sees this as a chance to escape and return to the clan with the new addition. She begins to run back to the jungle with the baby carefully resting in her arm. She starts to cross the suspended bridge only to stop for a moment and look at Sabor snarling protectively and snorts definitively. The song begins briefly once more.

♪ Every moment now, the bond grows stronger. Two worlds, one family. Trust your heart, let fate decide. To guide these lives we see! ♪

With that said, Kala walks back into the jungle, with the little baby girl in her care.