12. the talk

- Xanthey -

"Let's talk"
I let out a shakey breath. Was this it? Was I really going to give in and let out everything I have been holding back from Ashton? Does he even like me in the way I like him? I have no clue and it's killing me.

"Can we go someone where a little more private?" Ashton scratches the back of his neck nervously
"Yeah sure I know a spot in the courtyard" I lead Ashton to where I sit and hide from people during lunch. It's surrounded by bushes and flowers with a small patch of grass. Ashton takes off his hoodie and puts it on the ground like a blanket. He sits down and pats on the small spot next to him. I giggle a tiny bit, he is so adorable.

"This is so high school movie cliche right now" Ashton giggles a little, he is such a dork.
"Isn't everything about us cliche? I mean I'm the nerd, your the popular boy. It's really cheesy" Ashton grins at me
"I like cheese" I giggle again why is he so cute?
"So what did you want to talk about Ashy?" I play with my fingers trying to keep my nerves down.
"Oh yeah... Right umm. I wanted to tell you that I-I really like you Xanth. Not in a friend way I mean like I really like you like you... Is this making any sense?" I once again giggle at him, why the heck am I giggling? I don't giggle
"I like you in that way too Ashton" we just sit there looking at each other smiling like it was the best thing that could ever happen to us.
"Really? Like to do?"
"Yes you dork! Of course I like you, I mean my whole speech was about you Ash" Ashton's eyes widen with bewilderment
"Wait what? Was that person me? I was jealous of whoever it was but I guess I don't have to punch anyone. Do you really mean I inspired you that much?" Australians really are clueless. What do they teach you there? How to throw a boomerang, catch a kangaroo and grill shrimp on the barbie simultaneously.
"Yes you dummy it was you who inspired me!"
"Oh... Ohhhh ohhhhhh" Ashton shuffles around
"What are you doing"

Ashton holds up his finger to me like I was supposed to wait for something. Ashton goes into his bag and brings out an envelope.
"Xanthey I need you to promise something, when you're sad like really sad, the kind of sad that made you do this." Ashton brushes his thumb over the cut on my wrist. Shivers travel up my back and my breath hitches. "I want you to open this and read what it says inside. Only then should you open this okay?" I nod and Ashton doesn't stop brushing his thumb over my cut. It's a very affectionate gesture even if the actions are small. I could tell how much he cared about me.
"I promise" I look into his eyes and give him a genuine smile. I was utterly taken with this boy. I don't think I'm ever going to get over his hazel eyes.