16.

::

"Vernon."

He shifted on his feet at the sound of his name, coming across the two prominent stars of every newspaper clipping in the country. Vernon pulled his hands out of his pockets, respectfully putting them together with a lopsided grin on his face. "Your highness," he'd laced sarcasm for his familiar friend, "It's such a pleasure to meet you."

Ari scoffed, looking away

Ari scoffed, looking away. "F that pleasure, you only show up here to stab me in the back, don't you?" She was speaking in English, the others in the lounge having long dispersed and the staff confused. Only Seungcheol stood there, peeking into their conversation with renewed interest. There was someone out there who could draw such a response from the ever-prepared Ari? He wanted to be there to witness it.

"Hey, I did tell you I was here to help the Second Prince." Vernon raised his eyebrows, feigning ignorance, "You're the one who kept hiding your identity. Don't name me the betrayer."

Ari was not taking it well. Seungcheol could tell from the way her nose scrunched up cutely and her face turned red almost as if smoke would come out of her ears. Placing a hand on her shoulder, Seungcheol stepped in, "Careful," he warned Vernon in English, "You're talking to a Crown Candidate."

Vernon backed up at that, noting new information

Vernon backed up at that, noting new information. So, the First Prince cared about Ari? But before Vernon could assess him any further, Seungcheol switched to Korean, a smile on his face to deceive the onlookers, "So, how do you two know each other?"

Neither of them seemed to answer as Seungcheol patiently waited for a few seconds to pass by. Finally, when it seemed like it would be too rude to dismiss the First Prince like that, Ari gave up and explained, "Seungcheol, meet Vernon, the Second Prince's personal assistant and my longtime friend at the Royal University of Seoul. We studied together for a while when he first transferred in."

"That means, Chan has the bid," Seungcheol observed. He paused for a few seconds, scanning Vernon. "And it seems you've taken us by surprise." He smiled, a rehearsed manner coming to his rescue. Naturally, Seungcheol did not expect his little brother to butt into such a situation. But now that he had, "Do tell Chan he's earned himself a seat at the table." He did not hide his upset, ushering Ari away from Vernon, a hand brushing over the small of her back. Seungcheol's eyes narrowed, the smile unmoving,