11.

::

The monthly royal dinner was here. Though, in Ari's opinion, it was simply a dinner between royals. It had been over three weeks since she'd entered the Royal Residence but not once after the bowl of soup in her shop, had the King ever dined with her. The old man was too busy running the country to meet his children on a daily basis. This was his only excuse to have a meal with his loved ones.

Candidate-to-be Ari, Prince Seungcheol and the Second Prince Chan were to attend with a mandate. Each could bring a friend or a partner to the table, extending the invitation to a maximum of three people. Close relatives and a few members of the council were sent Royal invitations to total an elite group of 10-15. From what Joshua had described, his presence was guaranteed within the relative section of the Royal family. So, the two had brainstormed on the three that would benefit from Ari's invite, hoping to extend her circle of influence along with it.

Her neighbour, Seungcheol was being accompanied by Jeonghan (obviously) since the two were inseparable and any guesses regarding the Second Prince were shots in the dark. With all her options fixed, Ari was determined to enter alone.

But Joshua did not agree. "I will find an escort for you." He had insisted with a tight hold on her arm, "Going in alone in a den full of jackals is dangerous." What was he worried about? Ari was sure she could handle herself out there. Ari ran a hand through her dress. It was a two-layered hanbok-inspired dress that went down below her knees, tailored to her style. For once, she didn't feel uncomfortable in it and the heels accompanying it were low, making it easy for her to walk around without stumbling.

Ari felt a knock on the door. "Yes, come in please."

"Jisoo sent me." The person behind the door explained, refusing to jeopardize her confidence, "I'm to escort you for the evening so I'll just wait outside until you're ready, your highness."

Jisoo? Was the man on her door referring to her assistant, Joshua? It piqued her curiosity. For this person to call Joshua by his real name meant the bond between the two ran deeper than skin. With a wave of her hand, she dismissed the ladies helping her with her dressing and headed to the door. Ari walked out taking the unexpecting young man by surprise.

He was tall, dolled in a neat suit and wore a confused expression. Ari's eyes dipped into half moons, scanning him head to toe. Expensive ornaments often never glittered, they remained their glow longer than others.

And Ari happened to be a connoisseur of people. "Come on then. Let's go." Ari held her hand out, offering to be his guide.

" Ari held her hand out, offering to be his guide

::

Seokmin hadn't been sure what to expect when Jisoo had suddenly asked him to go escort the Crown Candidate. Wasn't she something sort of a Princess based on her position? He had no idea what kind of a person she would be since Jisoo was so careful about her. Would she be pretty? Or cunning enough to usurp the throne?