Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods

Start from the beginning

Diego Torres: We'll see.

Jessica Davis: Well, I was outvoted.

Jessica was the only one who voted against Clay & Diego. They will be allowed to go to the senior camping trip. After the meeting was over, Clay waited till Jessica was done flirting with Diego.

Jessica Davis: (Giggles) Oh, my God.

Diego Torres: See you tomorrow.

Jessica Davis: See ya.

Diego Torres: Yeah.

Diego leaves as Jessica walks towards Clay.

Clay Jensen: Jessica, what the fuck?

Jessica Davis: Look, Clay, I'm sorry, but you know you shouldn't be going on this trip. If they break you in front of everyone...

Clay Jensen: I'm not breakable.

Jessica Davis: Dude, we're all breakable, and you're the worst.

Dean Foundry: Everything OK?

Dean Foundry walks up to them.

Jessica Davis: All good here.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, all good.

Dean Foundry: Outstanding. Then I suggest you get to class.

While we wait to find out if Clay will be allowed to come with us on the senior camping trip, Justin explains to both me & Ani about the camping trip. It's a tradition, every year the seniors go on a camping trip to Burnham Woods. However, there's a urban legend when it comes to Burnham Woods.

Justin Foley: Every year on the fucking senior trip, the team singles out some poor kid and destroys him.

Ani Achola: Destroys him how?

Justin Foley: They use this stupid fucking legend about Burnham Woods. No one fucking believes it, but they pull all this shit to freak kids out. One year, this kid pissed his pants.

Hannah Baker: Wait, I've been living here for like 2 years and I'm hearing about this legend now?

Justin Foley: There's a lot about Evergreen County we haven't told you. We would've if we haven't been assholes to you.

Hannah Baker: And I've forgiven all of you since. Well, not everyone.

Justin Foley: Yeah, fuck Marcus.

Ani Achola: And you think Diego and the football team will pick Clay for another prank using this legend?

Hannah Baker: I would bet all my college money on it. Clay.

I see Clay standing in the hallway as we walk towards each other.

Clay Jensen: What are you guys whispering about?

Hannah Baker: Apparently, there this legend that you guys never told me about.

Clay Jensen: The Burnham legend?

Hannah Baker: That's the one. In the 2 years that we've hung out, you've never once mention this to me. Were you scared that I would've dragged you to the woods to investigate, Scooby-Doo style?

Clay Jensen: (Chuckles) No.

Justin Foley: That would've been funny.

Ani Achola: So, how did it go?

Clay doesn't answer as he just walks past us and just leans on a locker. We go up to check on him.

Hannah Baker: Hey.