Bella's cheeks flushed to an ugly shade of red again. "I didn't realize I was so heavy."

Jacob's smile widened, eyes twinkling. She let out a short laugh. Standing there like that, she came to grasp the gravity of Jacob's beauty. Dark, deep-set, milky brown eyes captivated every fiber of her fragile being, washing her away in a lulling tide. Things got quiet suddenly and she realized she was still staring into Jacob's eyes, her heels becoming farther and farther from the ground and their lips decreasing in distance.

Shortly, it dawned on her that numerous eyes were scrutinizing them in amusement. She cleared her throat.

"Um, I need to get to class, Jake."

"Right...I'll pick you up after school. I want to take you somewhere," he pulled a strand of loose hair behind her ears. "Don't overwork yourself this week, Bella."

"...What do you mean?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Jacob's smirk only caused her anxiety. Her jaw slackened and her heart stopped as he closed the distance between them and wrapped a hot hand over her hip bone. Gently, his thumb massaged innocuously, temperorarily relieving her cramps. It was like a heating pad. Surely he didn't have the nose of blound hound, right? She was going to retort in defense but Jacob's eyes halted her dead in her tracks. A darkness cast over them and they narrowed dangerously to slits, zeroing in sharply on something behind her. His whole vibe had changed, his breathing quicker, and his fists balled to his sides. She flinched away to glance behind her, shivering.

There stood Edward Cullen, eyes locked on jacob as if he was a sniper menacingly watching at his opponent.

Bella prayed that a fight did not break out in the middle of the parking lot. Whatever had occured between them earlier seemingly was about to burst out an unfold before everyone's eyes. Time slowed as she prepared for someone to take the initiative. All sound was violently swept away in a black hole. All her ears could hear was Jacob's harsh breathing. All was... still. Edward's first step nearly broke the sound barrier. The anxiety induced trance broke. She placed a palm over Jacob's arm in case he attempted to rush headlong into battle. Not that it would do much except get her dragged across the ground like an idiotic rag doll, but she didn't want to see either of them hurt.

But then Jacob receeded.

"I have to go," he told her hotly. He jumped on his bike and hightailed it off, engine revving in his wake.

What was that all about?

"What's he doing here?"

She had never left the ground so high from such a start that she was sure that she was only milimeters from touching the looming clouds. How did he always get to her so fast?

Grounding herself, she lifted her chin in slight indignace and said shortly, "Why is that any of your business?"

Edward Cullen's eyes bored into her for a total of six seconds. Somehow in three seconds his eyes shifted across the parking lot five times. He growled almost as if he was extremely exasperated.

"Why do you have to be so hard to read," he mused.

Her mind instantly strayed back to their encounter not long ago. Her "comic book conjecture" as he would put it came to mind. Apparently, his telepathic abilities didn't work on her.

"There is nothing to know," she replied, crossly. Swinging her backpack over her shoulder she marched to the entrance of Forks High School. The doors were now inches from her small hands. Without warning, she felt herself halt to a standstill. Her eyes trailed behind her to find Edward's fingers pinching the end of a rusty orange strap.

"What was he doing here, Isabella?! He doesn't belong here!"

Inhaling sharply, she tried to yank her backpack from his minimal grasp. It was to no avail.