🜂 | A Birthday Gift Like No Other

Začať od začiatku

"Actually," he spoke up, "I'm kind of glad we met here. Alone." Kai raised one of his brows, his head leaning a bit to one side.

"Really? Why's that?" he wondered. Cole finally looked up, their eyes meeting once again, much to Kai's delight.

"I wanted to give you a birthday gift," explained the earth ninja. Kai's brows furrowed in confusion as he stared at him.

"But you already gave me a gift...?"

"Yeah, but this is a different one."

"You didn't have to, I appreciate just the fact that you remembered, you know that. I'm just glad to spend my birthday with somebody, I don't need many gifts, really..." rambled Kai, rubbing his neck in a nervous matter.

"I wouldn't say it's like the other gifts," muttered Cole with a sort of a sheepish smile. Kai's brows seemed to relax but the confusion was still written all over his face.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I'm not sure I'm following, Cole..."

The black ninja started deep into his eyes, aggravating Kai's bafflement every second. He wondered what he had on mind, what he meant with his odd words. The feeling he'll soon find out helped him be patient a slight bit but the curiosity still sparked in his eyes. Just when he thought he'll receive an answer, Cole looked away, his eyes landing on the clock that quietly tick-tocked on the opposite wall.

"There's still five minutes left of your special day," he muttered thoughtfully. Kai just frowned again. He just didn't understand his friend at all.

"Yeah..." he sighed in response. "Kind of a shame. It feels nice when everyone treats you like a king." Cole chuckled and nudged his shoulder with his own.

"Of course you think it feels nice," he teased. A smile crept onto Kai's lips as he looked down.

"It's not my fault. A bit of attention is just neat."

"Yeah, I get it."

Kai looked at the clock. Seeing another minute has passed, he sighed. He tried to resist the urge to put his head on Cole's shoulder.

"Thanks for today. I'm really glad I have someone to spend my birthday with. With a family." Cole smiled fondly at him, receiving one from the birthday boy as well.

"Of course, Kai, we're all glad to have you in our family too."

"You didn't seem that enthusiastic when we first met," Kai retorted with a low chuckle. Cole scoffed as quietly as Kai and turned his head facing forward.

"I could say the same about you."

The silence took over them as Kai watched the second hand run its circle on the clock. Another minute has passed. Three more until midnight, and then his special day would be over. Cole still hasn't explained the gift thing yet though. He turned to him and scanned his facial features. The second ninja seemed not to notice he was being observed, for he hasn't moved or acknowledged Kai in any way in the slightest. Maybe he was just making fun of him. Or maybe not. It certainly was odd.

"Hey, Cole?" he spoke up, to get his attention again. Cole turned to him and hummed. "What was that about the gift?"

"Oh, that. Right." Kai frowned once again, this time his confusion was mixed with concern. Cole turned to the clock and patiently watched it tick-tock some more.

"You all right, buddy?"

And then Cole turned to him, with an odd look in his eyes. His face seemed serious, somewhat tensed as if he was... nervous? Kai leaned his head to one side slightly, like he used to do every time he got puzzled by something. Or this time, someone. He noticed the earth master's eyes glance at his lips, making him look at Cole's in return. Then their eyes met and Kai felt breathless. Cole shuffled closer, their fingers brushing.

He could hear the thumping of his own heart, the sound taking over his ears. It felt as if their surroundings slowly faded, only the spot they were sitting on actually existing.

Kai was 100% sure he was out of all of his breath now. That he would die any second. Maybe he was dreaming. Maybe he actually did manage to fall asleep. But it all felt so vivid at the same time...

When did Cole's face get so close to his?

"Happy birthday, Kai," Cole murmured against his lips right before they connected.

He felt like he was falling. Down, down, down he went. Cole's aura completely surrounded him, from his warmth, to his scent, to just the feeling of the ninja's presence. Kai felt like he was wrapped in a warm and fluffy blanket, never wanting to let go of the feeling.

Yet to his dismay, right when he was about to react, just when he raised his hand to hold Cole's chin, he pulled away. And Kai felt like being woken up from the best dream he had in years. Slowly opening his eyes, he was met with Cole's, staring into his as the reflection of tiny candle flames twinkled in them.

Kai was convinced he had completely forgotten how to breathe.

Cole got up, stealing the warmth from Kai, who sat frozen in one spot.

"Good night."

Kai's gaze followed the earth ninja as he left the room, leaving the dazed boy alone in the kitchen, accompanied by the sound of the clock ticking and the dancing flames. His hand was still up in the air, as if waiting for Cole's head to appear back in the spot where it belonged. Warmth took over his cheeks, dusting them with a light shade of pink. His eyes wide, mind still processing the moment that just passed.

"I wouldn't say it's like the other gifts."

Yeah. Kai definitely understood the meaning of his previous words now.

[a/n: happy late b-day to me ^^ :D]