Thirty

"Get out."

    Sakshi looked at him. He looked angry and why shouldn't he? She had betrayed him. It was all the labels that they put against her were prophecies. She indeed was everything the world said she was.

   "I said get out."

    She knew it was fair. Obviously, he wanted to throw her out of the house, if not also his life. Sakshi started towards the door until her husband gripped her elbow, stopping her. "Not you."

     "Priya get out!"

      Priya gasped out. "Bhai?"

     "Just go out I say."

        Sakshi watched Priya glare at her and then walk out, clicking the door shut. She wiped the tears from her face and she looked at him, who was looking at her already. His eyes were blank and he looked stern.

      "Tell me then! Say it! Say that you don't want to be with me. You want to get married to him?" His lips were curled in disgust. "Say that and I'll get you both married. Why I'll be the witness too. Why are you quiet? Say the word and I'll do it." He shook her arm.

    Sakshi couldn't help but a sob breaks out deep from within her. She closed her eyes and she willed herself to disappear as warm tears dripped down her cheeks.

     "Listen man you seem like a decent enough person but don't tell me you're buying into this act." It was Ashwin. "This is what she always does. She creates these situations and plays the victim."

        "Oh? Does she? You seem to know too much about her and I have never heard of you in all the years that we've been married."

        Sakshi tried to pull away from her hand and walk out but he didn't let her. "Stay." He hissed in her ear.

        "We've known each other for long haven't we, Sakshi? Longer than you've known him. I was her ex. We were each other's first loves."

      "First love huh? Interesting. How did you meet?" Sakshi whimpered in shame and he turned her around and placed an arm around her shoulder,
"You see, I have to ask you these things, I cannot just hand over my wife to some stranger."

      She froze and her stomach dropped. She couldn't believe her ears. He was planning to let her go and to him.

     "We met at David International School. I was working there as a lab technician. Sakshi was of course a student there. We met and fell in love and her baba found out and she didn't take responsibility. I was banished. I went to Australia and got my Ph.D. and settled there."

        Her husband slipped the arm from her shoulder and for a minute she wondered whether he would leave her and push her towards the bane of her existence. "I see."

    But he did nothing of the sort, she could only register what was happening when Siddharth had tackled him to the ground. His fist met Ashwin's face and a crack sounded around the room. Ashwin held his nose.

    "What is wrong with you?! I never forced her! Sakshi tell him!"

   Before she could even register it, Siddharth had dragged him up by his collar and punched him square in the jaw.