~:Chapter 41:~

Catherine crouched around the corner of the hallway, watching the remaining surviving players enter the cafeteria. Eric stood above her while Tyler and Lucas stood in the back. 

"You know, if we were in any other situation, I'd think you were a creep," Eric said with a sigh.

"Shut up," Catherine said, putting a finger up to him to silence him. Eric rolled his eyes in response, leaning back against the wall with his arms folded.

"Are we sure this is even going to work?" Eric asked.

"I said shut up." Catherine hissed. "...and yes. I didn't see her during the first grace period, and I know she isn't going to starve herself willingly." Catherine grunted. "It'll be any second." She said. Although her voice was dry and monotone, Eric could sense underlying determination in her words.

"Do I need to be here for this? I'm starving." Tyler said. Surely enough, his stomach grumbled mere moments later.

"Bro, me too." Lucas sighed. 

Catherine rolled her eyes. 

"Fine." She grunted. "But, if either of you two isn't back here by the time the grace period is over, I'll leave both of you behind. Got it?"

"Hey... but what if we find Vanessa?" Eric raised an eyebrow. Catherine paused, taking a deep sigh and looking up at him.

"We'll figure that out when it comes to it."

"I feel you're trying to get rid of us," Tyler said with a grunt.

"And?" Catherine asked with a raised eyebrow.

"W-What do you mean and?!" Tyler looked back at her in disbelief. 

"Rude," Lucas grunted.

"You're just trying to get rid of us." Tyler pouted.

"Calm down; I didn't say anything about leaving you behind." Catherine sighed. 

"Are you going to leave us behind if you find Vanessa?" Tyler immediately asked. Catherine fell silent, opening her mouth to say something but closed it again as if she stopped herself from saying something.

"My point," Tyler grunted.

"I didn't even say anything," Catherine grunted, glancing over at Eric, who held up his hands in defense.

"Don't include me in this." Eric took a step back.

"Oh, Jesus." Catherine sighed. "It's nothing personal. Finding Vanessa comes first." Catherine mumbled. 

"I wonder why I'm even helping you sometimes." Eric sighed.

"Because of what she did to your girlfriend." Catherine shot him an icy glance, immediately silencing him. Tyler looked between the two of them with confusion plastered on his face.

"So... what exactly happened? Does anyone care to explain the plot...?"

"Long story," Eric grunted.

"Vanessa's a mega bitch." Lucas commented.

"Damn right," Catherine mumbled. 

"Okay, but like... why?" Tyler explained. "Everyone knows she's a bitch, but what did she do to you?" Tyler asked. At this point, he was being nosey, not that he exactly cared. He wanted to know at least the context behind what he was helping with, which he wasn't given this entire time. Only small tidbits of obscure information he couldn't quite piece together to make any storyline. 

He looked at Catherine and then at Eric. Both of them blankly stared back at him. He furrowed his eyebrows at them, only then realizing that they weren't looking at him and something behind him. He slowly turned around, looking down the hallway at the staggering figure. He squinted, watching it limp slowly towards the group.