~:Chapter 16:~

"What's up with you guys?" He asked.

"We're doing just wonderful..." Claire gave him a wide smile as a smile.

"Good enough for..." He asked, trailing off as he slid into a seat next to claire, sliding his hand on her thigh. Yuki and Jake exchanged both confused and concerned glances as the two stared into the eyes of each other, Claire giving off a soft giggle.

"Ahem," Jake spoke up.

"Right... Forgot." Brent smirked. "What do you say we... go somewhere else?" Brent asked, tracing his finger up Clarie's arm. She snickered in response. 

"Ooh... How risky... I like that." She giggled as he stood up, wrapping his fingers around her wrist and leading her away. "Be back in a bit," she said, glancing over her shoulder and winking at Yuki, who stared back in sheer confusion with a raised eyebrow.

"Uh..." Yuki glanced at Jake, who shrugged. "They can't seriously be..." She wanted to ask, but instead, her voice trailed off, and she fell silent. Jake sighed before nodding in response, which made Yuki roll her eyes. "So I guess everything she said five minutes ago went out the drain. Good to know." 

"I'm not going to question it," Jake responded, fiddling with his knife and spinning it around his finger. Yuki stared at it, entranced in the swirling movements. It almost seemed dangerous, like he was going to cut himself, yet, he didn't care. 

The two sat in silence for a few moments, blankly staring off into space. Sure, Yuki was bored, but it beat being in constant danger, so, in a way, she was grateful to feel painfully bored. It allowed her to figure all of her thoughts out in her head, one she forgot about until that very moment.

"Can I ask you something?" Yuki asked. 

"Even if I say no, you'll ask anyway," Jake responded, sarcastically yet deadpan.

"That's not the point." Yuki sighed with a roll of her eyes. "Why did you save me?" She looked toward him.

"Did you not want me to?" He looked at her.

"Of course I did; I'm grateful for you, but... what happened to you saying you'd leave me behind? I put us both at risk." She paused for a second. "Still, you didn't leave me behind... even when I was just a burden..." Her voice quivered a bit at the end. She looked up at him, who blankly stared back at her. She waited for him to make any response to her question; instead, he just shrugged at her.

"Why question it? You're here now, so why does it matter." He said, all while fiddling with his knife. Yuki sighed, not getting the response she wanted but decided to let it go, knowing she wouldn't receive a better answer to her question.

"Thank you." Yuki quietly whispered.

"What for?" He asked.

"You didn't leave me behind... even when I found her." She responded, looking towards the ground as her quiet voice left her lips. The scene of Rebecca's corpse flashed in her mind, making her squint her eyes, trying to cleanse her mind of such a horrifying image.

"We're even now." He said.  

"I guess so." 

* * * 

The girl sprinted through the hallways, hopping over corpses and gore that littered the hallway as a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead, dripping off and mixing with a puddle of blood beneath her feet. 

"Don't get stabbed. Don't get stabbed. Don't get stabbed." She repeated to herself, over and over as she ran. All she needed to do was find him. Once she did, she'd be safe. Or maybe she could find a weapon first? She didn't exactly know her plan; all she knew so far was to stay alive.