eighteen

EIGHTEEN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

there was comfortable silence between the couple as they walked, both clad in a matching oversized shirt-which had been jonah's request. they were off to her first period, but were walking at a slow pace with ten minutes to spare.

riki had her backpack on his shoulder, face naturally relaxed as he gripped the strap. he looked out of the corner of his eye to look at jonah, heart instinctively fluttering. she paired her shirt with some baggy shorts and scrunched up socks with an emoticon on the side. she looked pretty and casual as he matched her with his own pair of jean shorts on.

he continued to stare, starting to glance at her hand.

though the two had been dating for a few months, they hadn't actually held hands yet. they talked about it for sure, but neither was actually bold enough to take that next step.

he moved her book bag off of his shoulder to hold in his left hand, catching the attention of jonah. "is it heavy? i can take it back if you want me to." she quickly reached for it but furrowed her brows when he moved it out of her arms length.

"no, it's okay."

"but you're already carrying your book bag-"

"it's okay." he interrupted.

they looked at one another before jonah playfully rolled her eyes, causing the boy to smile.

there was another silence between the two-still comfortable. riki mentally encouraged himself before finally speaking up again. "jonah."

she turned towards him again, giving a hum as a reply. riki felt his heart rate increase. he didn't know how she would react, or what she would think. what if she thought he was was moving too fast? or that he was delusional and let messages get to his head?

he nervously licked his lips, trying to figure out how to ask her.

jonah was beyond concerned now. was he about to break up with her? did he actually not want to walk her to class? or hold her book bag? did he not like the matching shirts?

"are you okay with- uh- holding hands?" he mumbled, awkwardly scratching his cheek. he cleared his throat and looked in a different direction, suddenly finding a teacher yelling at some student about their hood being on interesting.

a  snort of laughter caught his attention. jonah seemed to be cracking up.

what was funny?

" i was over here thinking you were gonna break up with me or something. you're literally the cutest." she couldn't get rid of the smile on her face as she stared up at his flustered frame. "of course we can hold hands."

she interlaced her fingers with his, smile widening as she looked at the size difference. "your hands are so warm."

riki was floating.

this girl had his whole heart.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃