eight

EIGHT
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

the ring of jonah's phone caused her to shift her gaze from the computer with her homework displayed on it. the familiar name on the device made her smile.

"hey." she spoke, lips pursed to hide her smile.

the boy on the other side was seemingly laying on his back, head covered in a hoodie as he stared at the phone. "what are you doing?"

she shifted her hand to have the phone pointing towards her ceiling to hide her face. "working on my essay for history." she let out a dramatic exhale and kept on with her task.

"you still working on that? when is it due?" he asked, his voice sounding deeper than it usually did-not that she knew exactly how it sounded on a regular basis and could probably state the specific tone of voice he had. no, definitely not.

"next week, but i still have a while to go because i be procrastinating..." she trailed off, mouthing a potential sentence to add to the paragraph she was working on.

"why can't i see your face?"

a smile immediately appeared. "why do you wanna see my face?" she asked him in a playful tone. "am i that cute that you wanna see me?"

he smacked his lips. "just let me see your face."

jonah's smile stayed as she continued to mess with him. "i don't let just anybody see my face, riki. only special people can."

he shifted his hood and cleared his throat before responding. "am i not special, jonah?" he stared straight into his phone at her.

there was something about the tone of his voice.

jonah didn't say anything, but plopped her phone against her school computer to show her face.

he smiled at her.

"shut up." she told him, typing away at her paper.

"i didn't even say anything."

she bit the inside of her cheek, giving him a good look. "why do you sound so sleepy?" she began to put her braids into a ponytail at the back of her head.

he moved again, this time turning on his side and resting his head on one of his hands with his eyes barely open. "because i am."

"then why are you on the phone with me and not sleeping?" she positioned one knee on her desk chair to rest her head as she continued to look at him.

he didn't say anything for a second.

"because i wanted to talk to you."

jonah moved her head from her knee. "i don't even blame you. i'd wanna talk to me too."

he snorted at her response to him, going quiet again. this time his eyes were closed.

there was a few minutes of silence, him seemingly sleeping and jonah working away at her paper. she finally broke her gaze to stare at his peaceful expression. even asleep, his phone was angled towards his face.

"are you staring at me, weirdo?" he had suddenly spoke up, eyes still closed. jonah's heart nearly dropped as she panicked.

"you know what, goodbye riki."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃