10

Fortunately, Smoker didn't get to spend too much time into the hospital, as his doctor implied. Tashigi was still shaken by that incident, even after more than a week. They were all bringing her to multiple police sections, she was interviewed by numerous TV broadcasts, and has even been to court with her lawyer, with Smoker by her side. She knew she was the reason behind everything that her boss had to go through, and words couldn't even express how bad she feels for postponing Ace's search. Of course, other officers were dealing with the case at the moment, but they didn't have the exact details and they couldn't do much anyways.

Smoker was visibly mad when they left after their last interview. Since he brought Tashigi there with his car, the moment she stepped inside, she started sobbing, but quickly trying to mask it. Seeing this, the man straightened his vision and relaxed his face muscles, getting rid of his frown. As soon as he opened his mouth to say sorry, he was interrupted by Tashigi.

"Don't even think about apologizing. I'm the one who brought you to this state." she said, covering her face with her sleeve.

"Woah, what are you talking about? What state?"

"And don't act like you don't know, or that you don't care. 'Cause you do. I can see it in your eyes..."

"No, you can't see it. You're not even looking at me." Smoker said, slightly smiling.

She took out her glasses and just put her head down. "Just drive." she ordered. 

Smoker adjusted his position in the driver's seat, and questioned his actions in the past week. It was clearly a misconnection between them, some serious personal problems, and there was also this incident at work, which perfectly ruined both of their relationships. The white haired man took out his coat and threw it in the backseat, as well as his gloves and hat, then carefully taking Tashigi's coat out as well, and put down both his cigars. He sighed, trying not to seem too bossy.

"I know you feel guilty, but there was nothing you could've done in that moment." he whispered to her.

"That's not true. I could've punched him before he entered the house."

"Well I'm glad you didn't do that, because you would've made him more mad and things would've gone much worse. What's important is that we're here right now, we're alive, and we must take Ace's case again until it's not late, shall we?" he said, trying to keep his voice low. "You saved my life. You should be happy."

Tashigi glanced at Smoker. "Yeah, no shit."

"And I know I've been an asshole for not thanking you earlier, but I wanna do it now." he grabbed her hand and squeezed it, while looking deep into her eyes.

She scoffed, as she turned her head to a different direction, trying to ignore her boss. She thought he was too cheesy, because she didn't deserve such treatment. It all started because she had a thing for him, and now, even though it is all over and no one was watching them, Tashigi still felt like she needed to take a step back.

"Thank you." Smoker's voice cracked.

His words were swimming through her ears, as he was squeezing her more tightly. 'Just ignore him', she whispered to herself. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"A-are you okay? Should I take you home?" 

"No, I'll just take the bus." she said, opening the car's door.

"Are you serious? You're not bothering me or whatever... You know what, I'm sorry."

As soon as she heard those words, Tashigi stopped moving.

"I really am. I know I've been an asshole to you, I know I didn't talk to you when I had the chance... Look. I know what you're thinking, and I know you're scared now, I know you're scared to be vulnerable again, but now the danger is gone, Tashigi... All I'm asking is to give me another chance. I can fix this, I swear!" the words slipped through his mouth.