Chapter 30: Dessert

"Sit up," Sarah commanded. The walls spun as Juliet confusedly obeyed. The figures continued to dance.

"Hello to you too," she tried to focus on Sarah's face. The urge to fall asleep was getting greater by the second. Would she even be able to make it to her bed? She did not know. 

The sting came before she heard the slap. The haze lessened considerably as she stared up. What the fuck? Anger seeped into the room like a cloud as Juliet became more aware of the situation she was in. Sarah's hand dropped after a moment.  

"This is not the vibe," Juliet said rubbing her cheek, knowing how easily marks are left on her skin. 

"You don't get to fucking say anything about the vibe. What the fuck have you done? You're a fucking traitor to humanity."

"What do you mean?" 

"You sold yourself out to be an alien's fucktoy. I don't know how you did it, but you are a fucking disgrace." 

Her head and heart pounded in unison. 

"Sarah how could you say that to me? You know I would never do anything like that." 

"For God's sake, this is the race that is taking over the world. You are in cohorts with their swarm queen bitch," Sarah spat, her features contorting into hate. 

"You're walking a dangerous line here," Juliet warned her. In her inebriated state she was an easy target. 

"What are you gonna do? Go cry to your girlfriend? Get me killed? I can't believe you stooped so fucking low. You get to sit up here and suck alien pussy while the rest of us die." 

"Die? What the hell do you mean?" Juliet tried to pick out the important things from the slew of insults. 

"The Kyrion are done playing fair. They want everything in Earth, and they are killing people to get it. This wasn't happening before you got together with the Ruler." 

Juliet knew this, but she didn't know that things had gotten deadly. 

"You think I have control over this?" Juliet said. "You think I chose for people to die?"

"Yeah, of course you're innocent. You're just fucking the person who is killing everyone." 

"Where? How many people?"

"They're in Africa right now. Anyone who shows sign of rebellion is murdered. You have to get on your knees and suck their dick to have your life spared."

Juliet shivered. She knew, deep down, that something like this was happening. But Sarah was right, she was happy to keep her head down and ignore everything. She just wanted to be loved, no matter how selfish it was. 

"You are the only one who can stop this," Sarah said. "You are the only one who can stop her, and you are doing nothing? Getting drunk like you always do- huh? I tried to save you from her. I tried to stay as long as I could, but you made it so hard." 

The tears in Juliet's eyes came from deep down. God, how could she have forgotten all of it? How miserable she had been with Sarah. 

"I've tried to talk to her. Did you forget that I am just one human in this?" 

"Exactly. You're nothing to her," Sarah's stance changed, and she crossed her arms. It seemed she had said everything she wanted to. 

Juliet had to get her out of here. For one, she wouldn't be able to stand her presence. For second, she still felt it was only fair that she return home since she didn't want to be in the castle. 

"While you do your victory lap over me, and paint me to be the ultimate villain, I am going to find a way to get you out of here. Until then, you stay the fuck away from me? Do you understand?" 

She wanted those words to come out with a grandeur, however she was on the verge of sobbing. Everything came out with a pitiful croak. Juliet knew what was coming next. It was always like this. 

"Hey, hey, I'm so sorry I was mad. I was literally taken away from my home, my practice. All because I loved you at one time."

"I know, it isn't fair," Juliet only wanted to avoid the groveling. "That's why I am going to find a way to get you home." 

Sarah uncrossed her arms and gave her that look. The look that made her feel like an imbecile, beneath everything in the world. 

"And, when I get you home- consider my debt to you repaid. My father's life for yours." 

"Jules, you don't have to-"

"Bullshit. " 

"Your parents miss you very much," she said. "You haven't called home in so long" 

"That is none of your business," Juliet said softly. "Once you're out, you get the hell out of my life. If I hear you meddling in my shit again, I will do everything in my power to make sure you're locked up in here for the rest of your life. You have done enough."

Sarah backed away slowly. The change in tone and power was clear. Once she was out of the room, Juliet laid down and sobbed into the chaise. She hurt, in her face and in her chest. There was so much pain in such short a time, like getting stung by a gigantic wasp. 

There were things bigger than this pain, so Juliet swallowed what was left of her tears and decided to head to the nearest place she could learn more information. She had to go to the Archive and speak with Aloran. She had a feeling that Dee would not hear of any meddling she did if she spoke to him. Could she trust him? No. She was sure he wanted Juliet out of the picture. This was exactly what she would exploit to get Sarah home and out of her life forever. 

QnA - ask me anything you want to know about this story here :D no spoilers ofc

Thank you for reading! If you have come this far, please consider leaving a vote and a comment- tell me what you liked or didn't like about this chapter. I try to post chapters on a weekly or more basis, so if that is your cup of tea, consider following me- not only to get notified of chapters but also receive behind the scenes updates from me about this story and possible new ones.

ah what we do to avoid pain,
and avoid the pain of others.
fairness, a vice so sweet, 
that no one questions what to eat.
you might think it is insane,
fairness, pain it does recover.