1.

JJ's POV
Pain. I've felt pain many times in my life usually physical pain from Luke beating me senseless like I was his punching bag. But the pain I felt the moment I saw kie kiss pope can't be described, I don't know why but for those few short seconds I have never been more hurt in my life not when I was being kicked or punched by Luke, not when my best friend had to leave the island not knowing when I'd see him again, and not even the pain I felt when my mom left me. At that moment I wanted to fall to my knees and break down, but I knew I couldn't, I couldn't let them see the pain I was going through, because that was nothing compared to what John b was going through. I don't understand why I felt this way I had never thought anything could happen between me and kie she was too good for me, we flirt all the time but that's nothing right, just 2 friends messing around, with no intentions of a relationship. I blame the feeling I had at the moment on the that John b had just fled from the cops and I was in a vulnerable position because nothing could happen between me and kie right?

*1 week later*

Kiara's POV

"We lost them", what shoupe said to us the night John b and Sarah "died", kept ringing in my head night and day those words there haunting me. We couldn't lose them they were pages they were strong, they had to be out there somewhere, they can just leave us that quick. I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling thinking of any possibility of how they could've survived. I haven't talked to JJ and pope since that night I stay in my room, barely eat, and never talk to anyone especially not my parents they would never understand there probably glad they're gone so they could rope me back into the kook life. I feel guilty because I'm glad I haven't talked to the pope after our kiss, things were awkward and I didn't want to tell him that I didn't love him at least not in the ah he hoped.

I turned around to a knock at my window to see JJ struggling to carry his weight on the ledge of my window seal.

"What are you doing," I said in a whisper voice to not wake my parents.

"Just visiting a friend can't you tell," he said pulling himself in

"At midnight, are you serious if my parents wake up they will kill me"

"That's why I was thinking we would leave and go get food," he said pointing to the window

"First of all where would we find food at this hour second, I am not climbing out that window, how did you even get up here"?

"I used the vines just the way I did when we were young" when we were younger JJ would climb through my window to watch movies, eat snacks, hang out, and even on some occasions he would sleep over. It was kind of a tradition of ours, no one else knew about it, not even John b or the pope. I guess my house was kind of an escape from Luke and his home life. This tradition ended after a year when my dad found him sleeping on my bed next to me, my dad cut the vines instantly, I can see why, would you want your daughter sleeping in a bed with a boy you barely know?

"I thought my dad chopped those vines down"I questioned

"Well plants grow back kie, through this thing called photosynthesis it's crazy"

"Haha I get it so what are you doing just standing there are we going or not"

"Right after you my dear," he said gesturing toward the window

"No way in hell am I going before you if I fall I would like to know I have someone there to catch me or someone for me to land on"

"I was just trying to be a gentleman," he said climbing out of the window "ok your turn I got down see you'll be fine"

"Easy for you to say you used to do this all the time"I was at the edge of the window ready to climb down. I felt my hands shaking as I held onto the vines, and climbed down. With each step, my hand got shakier moving frantically, in a panic I tried to rush my way down. Then I felt my feet touch the ground, I felt relief all over me, and my hands stopped shaking.

"See that wasn't so hard" he has no idea how hard that was.

"Now that we've escaped where might we be going to eat, "I said with my hand on my hips

"I was thinking Freddy's sandwich bar opened 24 hours, and I know you'll like it since there are tons of vegetarian options, and it's close by," he said with a smile on his face trying to convince me

"Ok let's go but I swear if it's not good I'm gonna kill you because I'm starving, "I said trying to hide my smile from the fact that he remembered I was a vegetarian.

FIRST CHAPTER DOWN WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I WANT TO MAKE THIS A SLOW-BURN KIND OF STORY SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD RATHER IT GO FAST PACE! I AM HOPING TO POST A CHAPTER A DAY AND EVEN MORE ON THE WEEKENDS. LET ME KNOW ANY FEEDBACK YOU GUYS HAVE. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS MY FIRST STORY SO CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS APPRECIATED, ANYTHING THAT CAN MAKE THE BOOK BETTER FOR YOU. THANK YOU. (960 words)