thirty-nine

⚠️ tw: pain and harm

Zoe's POV

*three weeks later*

Tuesday.

It's easier now. To see him. And it's odd to see him so regularly. At every class. Every meal. Every quidditch practice.

Yet every time alone.

It didn't hurt me; seeing him. It was relieving to know that I didn't want to turn around and walk into another direction, or throw him with something, or kill him for that matter.

What happened that night was an accident- and I know it. His breath was drenched with alcohol. And strong alcohol. Of course I wish it didn't happen, and of course I felt unsafe around him the first few days, but I made peace with the fact that he wasn't himself.

But that doesn't mean I'd just forgive him.

But on the other hand, I've made new friends. Two groups actually.

I'm openly welcome at the Gryffindor table lately. Ginny had found a lot of interest in me, and I enjoy having her and Hermione as friends. Turns out Granger isn't a know-it-all. She's actually very considering and talkative.

Then there's the Slytherin table. And not Alex and Aria- I mean Theo, Draco, Pansy and Astoria. I'm still not okay with Blaise though. He's a bit harder to become friends with. But the rest have sort of gotten to terms with the entire half-blood lie. And I actually like them.

But still, no one likes Mattheo.

-----

Clock Tower.
9 pm.

-Theo <3

I smiled at the paper, before folding it in half and slipping it into the top drawer of my bedside table.

Then I vanished into the bathroom, where I showered and washed my hair, before getting dressed into shorts and a crop-top with my famous dark green convers. I tied up my hair and made my way to the clock tower.

The corridors were quiet. Nearly silent. Three kids passed me and that's all. Not even Snape has done his rounds.

Yet I wasn't much bothered.

Eventually I reached the Clock Tower staircases, and I heard chatter far up top. Even though I thought Theo and I'd be alone, it'd probably do some good to have other's around.

As I made my way up the stairs, the voices become more clear and deeper.

They were not these of Theo and our friends.

I slowed my walk, and eventually got a chance to peek through some stairs. The only person I saw was Dumbledore, before someone grabbed me from behind, pulling me back and behind the stairs.

Theo.

He only wore one ring and it was on his right ring finger. Mattheo wore multiple on each hand.

"Quiet, Zoe." Barely a whisper. A breath.

He kept me from making a sound, and something told me he had a reason for it, so I didn't fight it; and I listened.

"He's just a boy, Lu-"

"He's old enough!" The sound was cackling; female. "Come on, son. Make your Lord proud."