Anonymous

Step Five: Redeem Thyself

(Three days before the watches disappear)

"How could this have happened, Chrissy?" I whisper, raking my hands through my slightly-spiked hair.

She fidgets in her chair nervously, biting her nails. "Sir, please. How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Agent 37. Please."

I turn my nose up. "Never. Get over it. I control you."

After my hostages escaped, I realized I have to be more brash toward everyone, including dear Chrissy. And I will do as I want. I am their boss.

She looks up from the ground, a look of hurt sweeping through her eyes before being replaced with anger, which is there to stay. "Master..." she says gently, tensing her muscles. "I have to go."

"No, you do not. Whatever duties you are assigned to at this moment... Well, you can consider them flukes in the schedule. Don't you dare leave!"

"I must!"

"No."

"Must, must!"

My eyes grow hard and as she stands to leave, I leap over my desk, dropping my apple to the ground, the faint thud enough to make her cringe when she looks up to face me. "Chrissy," I murmur, tucking a curl of brown hair behind her ear. "Don't leave me alone again. Don't you see? I'm hopeless. I've nothing left but you."

"No," Chrissy states calmly and as if it's obvious I'm wrong. She shoves my hand off of her shoulder and steps back, grabbing her papers. "Don't you see? You don't even have me."

<>••><••<>

I plop down in front of Agent 21, ready to bawl my eyes out. I've lost all control.

He raises his eyebrows, looking me up and down, obviously surprised to see me in our library. Well, I'm surprised to see him reading a book, so it's even.

"Yessir?"

"Agent," I start, sighing a bit as I take a hand through my hair. "You'll hate me, but I'm leaving the station."

Agent 21 drops his book, the pages flipping shut, and he reaches out to me, his fingers pinching my arm. I wince. "Stop dreaming!" He commands, squeezing harder.

"Agent!" I squeak under the pain. "Off!" He does as he's told, a blush rising on his cheeks. "Clip your nails once in a while, wouldya?"

He nods. "Sorry, sir."

"Anyway, as I was saying, I'm leaving the station here in Destin. I'm headed to the A.S.G.A. headquarters. I need someone to keep watch and be the designated man-in-charge." I explain, a look of disdain crossing my face.

"Phew. I thought you meant permanently. How long?"

"I don't know. Weeks? But that's not the point. I need someone to be the designated man-in-charge."

21 shrugs. "Agent 37 always steps up when you leave to go. You're okay."

"No." I say, and maybe a bit too forcefully. He doesn't know, geez dude. "Chrissy hates me."

Agent 21 furrows his eyebrow. "Chrissy?"

"Agent 37."

He nods silently, looking out of a nearby window.

"Agent. I'm asking you to take charge for however long it may be. If anything bad should happen, turn to Agent 37, even if she hates me." I instruct.

Agent 21 nods eagerly. "Yes sir!" He cannot wait to be in charge, and its everything I can do to not take back my instructions.

"Oh and make sure you keep the doors locked. I'm gone in fifteen minutes." I say, standing up and grabbing my packed duffel bag.

"But sir!" Agent 21 gasps, standing up too.

"I must leave now, Evan. Don't you see? I'm all alone. I must redeem myself by stealing something valuable to them. Maybe not a person, because I obviously failed at that. I'm a failure, just ask Chrissy."

He watches silently as I saunter out of the library, heading to my office. I cannot wait to leave this town and head to where trouble awaits me happily and highly welcoming.

And as I open my door and see my stacks of papers and plans all planned out for Agent 21, I smile. Oh, the pleasure of ruining lives and being carefree in a town you don't have a record in.

<>••><••<>

A/N:

So that's how that happened. Next chapter in present time. Not past, k? Alright, who thinks they know who "Master" and "Chrissy" are?

Comment below!!!