Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor

Start from the beginning

Tyler Down: Yeah, okay.

Clay Jensen: You're gonna be all right, yeah?

Tyler Down: Yeah. I just... I was really hoping you'd be here. Today of all days.

Clay Jensen: Why me? What do you mean "of all days?"

Tyler Down: Because I needed a friend.

A car stops on the road and honks at Clay.

Clay Jensen: Tyler... ah... (Sighing) Listen, I gotta run, but I'll try, okay?

Tyler hangs up.

Hannah Baker: Clay's not coming? Did he say why?

Tyler Down: No, he didn't.

It was time. Everyone has gathered to the gym including the football team & Dean of Students from Hillcrest. I don't know where Clay is, but I really wish he was here. Me & Tyler sit next to each other as Principal Bolan is on the podium to welcome everyone.

Principal Bolan: Welcome, everyone. And a very special welcome to our guests from Hillcrest. We would like this to be a time... to come together. The interruption of our Homecoming game inflamed feelings on all sides. And it was followed a few days later... by the news of the tragic death of a former Liberty and recent Hillcrest student, Bryce Walker. Now, I've spoken at length with the student leadership, and Hillcrest administrators. We agreed that it was time to bring our schools together for a day of accountability and healing. And with that in mind... Jessica Davis, Student Body President and organizer of the protest, would like to offer a few words.

Everyone claps for Jess as she gets on the podium, well not everyone. I'd noticed that both football teams did not.

Jessica Davis: Thank you, Principal Bolan. You're absolutely right that at times like these, people need to be held accountable for their mistakes. And after something traumatic happens, it's important to focus on healing. But the thing is... how is anybody supposed to heal if all we do is cover up the wounds and hope that they'll go away? We have to look at them and recognize them for what they are. We have to be honest about who actually got hurt and how. The protest I led was an attempt to try to draw attention to the rape culture in boys sports and throughout our school. And yes, I admit that the way I went about it wasn't perfect. I'm sorry for how it all ended up. I really am. But making mistakes is part of being a survivor. At first, you think you're, like... permanently broken. But then... little by little, you start picking up the pieces and you start realizing what you're making is a mirror. And... the more of those pieces that you put together, the more you start to see yourself. But maybe we can start picking up those pieces of that mirror together, and we can finally see the truth. If you think sexual assault doesn't affect your life, you're wrong. There are survivors all around us. People you care about... who you never knew were suffering in silence. Let them know that you're there to listen. It's time for you to know the survivors in your life. To hear their stories and to know that their voice matters. My name is Jessica Davis, and I'm a survivor.

The crowd begin whispering as I stand up from my seat and I remove my sweater and show off my scars.

Hannah Baker: My name is Hannah Baker, and I'm a survivor.

Casey stands up next from her seat.

Casey Ford: My name is Casey Ford, and I'm a survivor.

Then another girl from H.O. stands up.

Janelle Martin: My name is Janelle Martin, and I'm a survivor.