Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor

Start from the beginning

Clay Jensen: Look, I'm not gonna point at Tony or Justin or anyone else. I'm... And I'm sure not gonna let you do that.

Ani Schola: Clay, you have to.

Clay Jensen: I gotta go.

Ani Schola: Clay, please.

Clay Jensen: Look, I love that you want to help me, but you will get found out somehow and you'll be in big trouble. And I know your mom's not speaking to you now, but you're all she has and you can't do that to her. I really gotta go. Tell Hannah that I'm sorry.

Clay tries to leave but Ani pulls him back and brings him in for a kiss.

Ani Schola: Clay... This isn't over.

Clay Jensen: (Speaking in Swahili) Nakupenda

Ani Schola: (Speaking in Swahili) Nakupenda

Clay walks away unbeknownst to both him & Ani that her mother was watching from the kitchen window. Justin calls Zach at school to inform him about Clay's disappearance.

Zach Dempsey: He what? Holy shit! Justin... (Stammering) Wait. So, he's just gone? Yeah, if I see him, I'll call you, but I... Okay, yeah. Okay.

Monty & Charlie heard Zach's conversation with Justin on the phone.

Monty de la Cruz: Was that Justy? He have an excuse why he skipped weights this morning?

Zach Dempsey: Yeah, family stuff.

Monty de la Cruz: (Scoffs) He doesn't have a family. Wait, who's gone? Jensen? What the fuck? Did he take off?

Charlie St. George: What? Why would he do that?

Monty de la Cruz: Holy fuck, maybe he is guilty!

Zach Dempsey: He's not guilty, that's insane. There's no way he could've taken on Bryce. You know what? That would've taken someone who was, I don't know, 6 foot, 190, nasty fucking temper.

Monty de la Cruz: Sounds like someone I wouldn't want to fuck with. Come on, Charlie.

Monty walks away as Charlie begins to be more concern about Clay. Clay begins to hitchhike on the road as he takes out a burner phone he just bought and calls Tyler.

Hannah Baker: You nervous?

Tyler Down: About the assembly? Yeah.

Tyler's phone begins vibrating as he takes it out and sees it's a unknown number. Tyler answers the call.

Tyler Down: Uh, hello?

Clay Jensen: Hey, Tyler. It's Clay. I wanted to let you know I can't drive you home today. I won't be at school.

Tyler Down: Oh, you won't be at school?

Hannah Baker: Who won't be at school?

Tyler Down: Clay.

Hannah Baker: Why not?

Clay Jensen: Shit. Is Hannah with you?

Tyler Down: Yeah, Hannah's here.

Clay Jensen: (Sighing) Yeah, I'm not coming. So, maybe you can hitch a ride with Hannah or someone?

Hannah Baker: What's he saying?

Tyler Down: Okay, um... but I mean, I was really hoping you'd be here today. There's this assembly.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I just... I can't, man. Okay?