I. A New Beginning

"Ani!... Andi! Come on, kids! We gotta go!"

My eyes flutter open at my mom's voice ringing through the house just as my twin's face comes into view. His crooked smile shining with his sapphire eyes causes a smile to make its way on my groggy face.

Anakin, my other half. We are like two space pods in one together, precisely like the ones we need to finish fixing up again after Ani tried driving them both by himself... again.

"Morning, Ani." I smile at the boy who's just two minutes younger yet acts older.

"Come on, Andi, get up. We gotta go to work today; then we can finish fixing the pods!"

"You mean you will be fixing the pods as you were the one who crashed them in the first place." I huff playfully as I go to the bathroom to get ready.

I ignore his muffled response through the door as I get ready for the day, feeling a bit excited today. It's like my body knows today will be different somehow, or I could just be excited that tomorrow is Ani's and mine's only one day off for the whole year... but I will look forward to today like I do every day.

"Alright, kids, hurry and eat your food before you're late, and Watto takes away your free day tomorrow." Mom stresses.

I don't blame her. It took a lot of convincing from her side to get Watto to give us at least one day off every year. I wish we could ditch this sand-ridden place and live a good life with the three of us. Maybe someplace that isn't always warm and sunny has one of those unique places with lots of water, called a 'lake,' something I heard some traders talking about last week.

I get pulled out of my thoughts as I feel Ani dragging me out of our hut and toward Mom's speeder. I sent him a thankful smile as we climbed in before heading to Watto's junk shop. I look out at the sun that is barely peeking out over the horizon, giving everyone a clear indication that it's barely six o'clock.

"I don't understand why Watto still makes us get there so early when no one is awake right now," Ani grumbles into his palm as Mom parks behind the shop.

"Oh, hush now, Ani-" Mom starts.

"Especially before Watto hears." I cut in.

"All you gotta do right now is clean the shop. You should be glad that's what you are doing right now. You could have it much worse, Ani." she scolds, dismissing my comment.

I snicker at Anakin's disheveled expression at our mom's nagging, getting a glare from my twin as we step inside Watto's shop.

"Ah, you guys are finally here. Good." Watto grumbles.

He snatches up a rag and a broom before turning to me as our mom starts to leave with a slight frown.

"You girl, go clean the whole shop. Now." He barks orders before tossing the cleaning supplies towards me.

I see Anakin frown but don't say anything- much to Mom's and mine's relief- as Watto yells at him to go out to the junkyard. I pick up the broom and rag before turning to our mother, who is standing by the door.

"I got it, Mom, I promise." I smile, shooing her away as I start in the shop's front.

"Alright, just... just make sure your brother doesn't get into too much trouble today, alright?" She informs me, a gentle smile on her sweet, older face before she leaves.

I look just like her. My dark chocolate brown eyes and long chestnut hair that's pulled back in a low bun, just like hers. Then there's Ani, his dark, dirty-blonde hair and sapphire eyes. I don't blame others for not believing we are twins when we barely look like siblings.