Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1

Start from the beginning

Hearing that makes me feel bad for my mom. Everything she went through in that bullshit trial. I didn't know how to respond.

Jessica Davis: Yeah, well, if it helps, We're still fighting.

Hannah Baker: Yes, we are.

Olivia Baker: It really does.

Jessica Davis: Yeah, well, it turns out this whole "toppling the patriarchy" thing is, em, totally hard.

Olivia Baker: Yeah, well, you only have all of history ever working against you.

Hannah Baker: That's true.

Jessica Davis: Sometimes I feel like I'm making a real difference, you know? And other times I just feel like nothing has changed at all.

Olivia Baker: Yeah, but you've changed. Both of you. And you did it all right here. More than I can say for myself. I had to get the hell out of here.

Hannah Baker: I wouldn't have blamed you if you did too, Jess.

Jessica Davis: Is it better? In New York?

Mom has already told me about how her life is now in New York.

Olivia Baker: It's different. I mean, sometimes I'll find myself swept up entirely in this sea of people, this... this thing that's bigger than me. In those moments, I find that I have completely forgotten who I am and what happened. Other times, no matter how many thousands of miles away I am, I'm still here. Right back here.

Hannah Baker: I'm glad you're back.

Jessica Davis: Why are you back here?

Olivia Baker: Oh, um... the old house, we finally found a buyer for it.

Jessica Davis: Oh?

Hannah Baker: Yeah. It's not easy selling a house with that kind of... history, you know?

Olivia Baker: But we closed on it last week, and, um... so I'm here, signing paperwork, clearing things out, you know, taking care of some other... unfinished business.

Jessica Davis: Well, you seem great.

Olivia Baker: I'm not over it, though.

Hannah Baker: What do you mean?

Olivia Baker: You know... I had myself convinced that I was, that it had gone away, but being... being back here... selling that house... I'm still sad. God, I'm still so fucking angry.

Hannah Baker: Me, too.

Jessica Davis: Same here. Let's go to Rosie's, I'm buying.

Olivia Baker: Okay. But you know, I prayed that it was different for you.

Hannah Baker: Is it different? Is it... Has it gone away?

Olivia Baker: No.

The tree of them went to Rosie's for a bite to eat. While they ate, they had fun just chatting about something else other than the events that transpires this past year. 2 Days later, Olivia has been catching up with some old friends, one of them is Tony Padilla.

Olivia Baker: And your family?

Tony Padilla: They're back home in Mexico. I keep asking them what happened. I wanna know why, you know? But the lawyers say it only takes one phone call. So...

Hearing Tony say that made Olivia realize something as Tony notices it.

Tony Padilla: Oh, shit. Olivia, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to unload all of this on you. You're back, so we should be celebrating. You want a beer for old times' sake?