Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor

Start bij het begin

Nora Walker: My father.

Hannah Baker: I'm sorry about your father. Ani told me about him. And I'm sorry about Bryce. I never wanted him dead. I'm not that kind of person.

Nora Walker: But Clay may be.

Hannah Baker: He wouldn't.

Nora Walker: How well do you know him?

Hannah Baker: Since I moved here 2 years ago. I first meet him when he started in The Crestmont, 2 months after I moved here. We've been friends since then. But last year... I pushed him away.

Nora Walker: He's done some things that are...

Hannah Baker: I know about the time he "tried to buy drugs" from Bryce. I heard that tape. He took a beating for me.

Nora Walker: Hannah, what my son did to you and to Jessica was unforgivable. When I listened to the tapes, I believed you.

She did?

Hannah Baker: You did?

Nora Walker: I even confronted Bryce about it and he admit it to raping you. I slapped him and called him a stranger.

I couldn't believe what she told me. Bryce admit it to raping me to his own mother.

Hannah Baker: Is that why you paid for my hospital bills?

Nora Walker: I felt responsible for what happened to you, Hannah. Because I was the one who...

Hannah Baker: It wasn't your fault, Mrs. Walker.

Nora Walker: That's not the boy who I raised. I am sorry for what he did to you.

I just nod at Mrs. Walker. After we were done, I get up to leave.

Nora Walker: I didn't tell the police about when you came here and attacked Bryce the night before Homecoming.

I stopped at the door.

Nora Walker: But there is something you should know. That night, before you came, Clay came here and had an exchanged with Bryce. I heard Clay say to him "I will fucking kill you." The police know about it. Just thought you should know.

I can't believe Clay came here the night before Homecoming and said that to Bryce. I open the door and walk out of the Chatham house and walk towards my car in the rain. I get in my car and I just sit there not knowing what to do. I pull out my phone and I scroll through my contacts list. I click on Justin's number as it rings until he picks up.

Justin Foley: Hannah.

Hannah Baker: Justin, I'm at the Chatham house.

Justin Foley: What? What are you doing there?

Hannah Baker: I saw it. I saw the footage. Clay, Bryce, the gun.

Justin Foley: Shit.

Hannah Baker: Just tell me this. When Clay pointed the gun to his head, what was he saying?

Justin Foley: Hannah...

Hannah Baker: Just tell me. Please.

Justin thought about it. There was no point in arguing.

Justin Foley: He said "How do I make her stop? She won't stop." It was like, he was seeing you. And then you woke up.

I just hang up the phone.

Bryce Walker: You know he did it.

I turn towards the passenger seat and I see Bryce.