Chapter Seventeen

Shawn's P.O.V

"What do you mean you don't have red velvet cake? Aren't you a cake shop!?" Angel says loud enough for me to hear him from across the food court. Eli is enjoying his chocolate ice cream cone and I'm sipping on an iced lemonade while Angel has been arguing with an employee at La Cake Café for almost five minutes. He seems determined to get himself a red velvet cupcake. I'm guessing that's his favorite cake since he won't just choose a different kind.

"I'm sorry sir, but all of our red velvet cakes have been sold out from the past holidays. I can get you something else if you'd like." the employee says back to him.

"No. You got to have something, you didn't even go in the back to check." Angel practically begs.

"I'm sorry sir but the only cakes we have is what's on display: double chocolate, chocolate mint, birthday, half & half-"

"I can see! I didn't ask you to list them." Angel yells in frustration. I guess this guy could be a little fierce when it came to getting something he wanted. I honestly would help the employee and grant him redemption but I don't think I can take the hateful glares from Angel any longer whenever I'm in his presence. Every time I would look at him he has that regular boring, plain, cold expression. That exact expression changes whenever he would look at me with those emerald green eyes. I could see nothing but hate that he is holding for me. Whenever this happens Mani does nothing but whimper in sorrow.

I, of course, could feel his hate and anger too. Mani was more enticed to address it than I was because he was contrite about my actions towards Angel today. I, on the other hand, had no regret. If I hadn't given him the Pheromone pills then who knows what Mani would have done. Him being inches away from us, much like in the car, only excited Mani the more.

"Because he is meant to be ours. YOU stripping our right to take in his scent was inapt on your part. He had done no wrong."

"He is not ours! You would have attacked him if I hadn't, you need to calm down."

"I would have treated him better and claimed him." Mani confesses with more emotion than I have ever seen him display.

"I'm not even eighteen yet so you can't claim shit. Ophelia is our mate. Angel is a voracious omega with no self-respect or decency."

"How would you know? You don't even know him beyond his name. You're too quick to label him because of his past."

"Someone like him isn't worth the time. Now drop it." I say in annoyance.

". . . ."

"Silence is a great weapon. It is what he will give you. It is what he is giving you. It's the sound of someone who has suffered an immense amount of pain. The longer you ignore that silence, the more he will suffer." Mani says stepping back.

What?

I ignored Mani and didn't bother to respond but like always, I took in his wise words and let them echo in my mind. I shifted my attention from my drink to Angel. He is still talking with the employee, no longer yelling in his face. I guess he has finally made a decision. Moments later, he makes his way back to our table with two cupcakes. One vanilla with blue frosting and the other vanilla with white frosting. For someone with delicious treats in his hands, he seems despondent.

He sits in the chair across from me and next to Eli and instantly starts conversing with him with softness and care in his voice. They speak mostly about video games and the activities that Eli wanted to do over the summer. During their conversation, Angel scoops a small amount of icing from one of his cupcakes and places it on the tip of Eli's noes, which causes them both to laugh.