Epilogue

Therapy for the most part was going amazing. I opened up to my therapist, and he was cool. He helped me sort my shit out. I have a long way to go, I guess, but I'm not complaining much. Dad and my brothers were very supportive throughout the whole ordeal. I'm very lucky to have them.

Will has been living with his grandparents ever since the incident with his dad. I suggested going to the police, but Will was against that. I guess I get it. I would be, too.

I was finishing up my essay when I heard a knock on the door. I knew it was Freddie, just because he knocks a certain way. "Come in!" I called. Freddie opened the door, closed it behind him, and sat on my bed. "He proposed." He said calmly, even though I could tell he was the furthest thing from calm.

"Oh my god! That's amazing! I'm so happy for you." I told him excitedly. He gave me the biggest smile I'd ever seen on his face. He opened his arms and gave me a questioning face. I got up from my desk and gave him a tight hug. "I'm so happy, Danny." He said. as if he didn't believe it.

"Good. You deserve it." I said, and I pulled away. He wiped his tears. "I'm engaged." He said, still smiling brightly. My cheeks hurt from how much I was smiling, too. "I have a new brother." I said, which made Freddie giggle. I'd never seen his so giddy. It was great.

"I haven't told the others yet, though. Do you think they'd be excited?" He asked. I nodded my head vigorously. "Yeah, of course. You and Blake are perfect for each other." I assured him. He wiped his eyes.

"So, what did I interrupt?" He asked as he got up and sat at my desk. I was starting to get more comfortable with people "invading" my personal space, so I didn't mind him reading my stuff. "Oh, Mrs. Henderson and I exchange books. She gives me books and makes me write essays on them and stuff." I fidgeted with my fingers. "I-It's just a draft so it isn't as well written as I want it to be, but uh, yeah." I said awkwardly.

"Damn, this is a draft? This would've been my best work ever in senior year." He said, raising his eyebrows in surprise. I laughed and grabbed the paper from him. It was a rough draft, full of grammatical errors, I'm sure. "Well, you got into premed, so forgive me if I don't trust your words." I said playfully.

"Fair." He said. He got up from my desk and then scanned my bookcase. I could tell he was stalling. "What are you avoiding?" I asked him. He laughed it off awkwardly. "Nothing."

I raised an eyebrow. He looked at me, then sighed. "Blake's parents want to have a family dinner with you all and I haven't told anyone." He pouted. "Do you want me to help you tell them?" I asked.

"By help do you suggest you tell them and I stand there like this?" He put two thumbs up and smiled awkwardly. I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Come on, you can do it." I encouraged him. "Right. Yeah. Right, of course." He mumbled. "It's not like they're going to react badly. They'd be happy. Excited. Nice." He said, mostly to himself.

"Danny?" I heard someone knock on the door. Freddie looked at me anxiously. "Come in." I said. Sam walked in, holding a piece of paper. Once he saw Freddie there he squeaked. Literally squeaked. He closed the door and I could hear his steps walking away. Freddie frowned in utter confusion. I tried to mask my laughter.

"What was that about?" Freddie asked. I shrugged. Freddie regarded me thoughtfully. Suspiciously. But he didn't say anything else. "Let's go tell them." Freddie said confidently. I smiled encouragingly. "Let's go." I said.

•••

"I can't do this." Freddie whispered to me as we stared at James and Jenny sitting down in the living room. "Let's do it when everyone's here?" I suggested. Maybe it would be easier for him if he didn't have to do it more than once. He nodded.