Chapter Forty Four

Holly

Friday May 21st 2021.

The Lincoln Lane Chroniclers met at their headquarters; Holly's bedroom.

Some friends met up at restaurants to talk about their school day or what colleges they applied to. Instead, Holly, Heaven, Rowan, Cody, and Kyle met up in Holly's room. Four unlikely friends brought together by a murder investigation—and an unplanned pregnancy.

She was getting used to the people in her bedroom.

Her windows were open letting in the late afternoon sun. Her bedroom door ajar on demand by the Bridezilla.

There was a reason Holly liked it closed. Not because she had something to hide. But because it kept the ruckus of the wedding planning out. And sitting on her bedroom floor, she could hear bits and pieces of Georgia's conversation with the florist.

The five of them were in a circle on the floor. Papers scattered between them. It was the details of their suspects. Lucas, Malcolm, Nathan, Farida, and Dr. Bradley.

Each person assigned a suspect to look into.

"They're right outside our school." Rowan groaned. "I went to clear up an issue with my report card and they ambushed me from across the street."

Holly pressed her lips together. Up until now, the only reporter that came up to her was Nina Baldwin in the mall looking for the lady's room. She couldn't imagine being cornered by a swarm of them. Then again, she had to have at least anticipated that with word getting out about five kids poking their noses where it didn't belong, the public's curiosity would be piqued.

"And the protesters?" Cody asked limply. He was adjusting the dials on his camera. It was a natural addition to him and Holly was getting used to seeing him with it.

"Haven't moved from Mayra's park."

They fell silent. There were footsteps outside the door. Heavy boots. Vaughn was undoubtedly hiding from his wife's hurricane planning.

Kyle stood, pacing, burning a hole in her carpeted floors. "Malcolm and his crew got her into drugs, she had an affair with Nathan Pinbrough, after her father got arrested for negligence. She was taken to rehab where Dr. Bradley could have been micro-dosing her with heroin. And that's all we've got so far." He counted them on his fingers.

"We know she didn't get along with Lucas and things with Malcolm were rough enough for her to seek comfort in her teacher." Holly blows out a long breath.

"We know her mother isn't willing to get involved in this and her father is dead." Heaven pulled her hair into a bulging overhead bun. Her hair was long overdue for texturizing and straightening.

"And we know that nurse at rehab has something to tell us," Cody said.

The anticipation made Holly cold thinking about it.

"Is there anyone we can rule out? If we're going to open this case before prom night, we need to start crossing people off."

"We need Dr. Bradley." Kyle said as a matter of fact.

"And Nathan." Rowan pitched.

"And Lucas." Heaven said.

"And Malcolm." Cody said.

"We haven't even looked into Farida." Holly pointed out.

"Know where we can find her?" Cody had his phone out.

Holly shook her head. "Last I heard she graduated high school and went completely off the raider."

"That's not possible, nobody in this town can just disappear." Cody was silent for a few seconds. "Found her. Looks like she's a student at a community college by Gage Park on South Racine Avenue." 

"Think we can squeeze a conversation with her and make it to Crescent Hills?"

"That's right, Nadine's thing," Rowan clicked her manicured fingers.

"What time were we supposed to be there?"

"10:15." Holly said.

"It's almost 5:30," Heaven looked up from her watch. 

"Who was assigned Farida's case?" Kyle wanted to know.

Holly considered the paper in her hand. She waved it.

"Think you can get in touch with her tomorrow?" Kyle ruffled his hair.

It was paramount that they gathered enough evidence to send to the Chicago P.D. before prom night. They were working on borrowed time.

She nodded.