Chapter 40: Sickness Identified

"I'm so sorry this happened, Lady Raya," Lady Izunami said, once again sitting behind her curtains.

"It's fine," I said. I was leaning on the side of her bed.

"Really, I am." 

I just nodded. I brought my knees up close to my stomach. I was reeling. Could I be pregnant in this situation? What will Akura Ou say if I am? He doesn't seem like a fatherly type. But he does surprise me so often. 

"Lady Raya, what's on your mind?" Lady Izunami asked.

"Oh, it's nothing," I said. 

"Are you feeling well? You look pale."

I wasn't. I was feeling nauseous again. I was hungry now and I couldn't eat the food in the Underworld, she had warned me, so I had to wait until someone from the surface brought food. On top of that, the miasma was making me feel gross this time.

"I feel sick," I finally admitted.

Hiou let out a frightened yelp and stood me up and dragged me out of the room to a bathroom. She held back my hair as I threw up and rubbed my back gently. 

"Are you getting the flu?" she asked, feeling my forehead, "You don't feel warm."

"No, it's nothing," I said, spitting a few times to clear my mouth before standing up. Hiou brought me back to Lady Izunami.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Really, I'm fine," I said.

"Humans only get sick like that for a limited number of reasons," she said, "And you're not dying."

"You're not sick," Hiou added.

"Lady Raya, are you...pregnant?" she asked.

"No," I said quickly, then paused, "Maybe. I don't know."

"Lady Raya, that's wonderful!" she exclaimed softly, "You couldn't resist some alone time with Akura Ou?"

I blushed, "No. I didn't think it would be a problem because I didn't expect to be imprisoned in the Underworld."

"Well, I'll care of you darling," she said.

"Thank you," I said.

She nodded and I sat back down at the foot of her bed and closed my eyes.