Chapter 39: Rescue

"What do you mean, I can't go to her?" I asked, feeling my frustration build.

"She specifically requested that you not go to her and leave the shrine at once. Ikusagami plans to kill you."

"I don't give a damn what Ikusagami plans to do. I'm going to her. Did she say anything else?"

"She said she was in a dungeon. She hung up suddenly after that."

"Fine. I'll be back."

"Wait, what if you run into trouble on the way?" the snake asked, "Maybe I should go."

"It doesn't matter if I do. Besides, you have to take care of Yatori. Raya will be very upset if he dies."

"Alright, but are you sure you want to go with your injury?"

"I'll take help if it'll make you shut up about this stupid cut!" I yelled, "Monjiro, Kikuichi!"

It only took a few minutes for them to approach the shrine.

"Master Akura Ou! You have succeeded!" Kikuichi said,

"Cool!" Monjiro yelled.

"Enough! We're going to rescue Raya," I said.

"Yes, Master!" they said, saluting. 

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the smirk tugging at my lips.

"Take this," the snake said, holding up a katana and then tossing it to me.  

"Wait, Master!"

I sighed and turned back to see the snake now holding Yatori back.

"What?" I asked.

"Your club. I kept it in a cave near the river that you said you met Raya near," he said.

Something useful came out of his mouth.

"Go, Monjiro," I said, "It's north of here."

"Yes, Master!" he cried, running off.

"Now, let's go."

Kikuichi followed me as I ran through the forest. I had to make up ground. Tomoe and his mistress were probably halfway to Izumo by now. I couldn't let him have all the fun tearing those gods to shreds. 

As I approached Izumo, I saw smoke. A good sign. I landed down where it was. Tomoe's foxfire was waiting. It took off and I followed. 

"What is that?" Kikuichi asked. He was doing a good job keeping up with my pace.

"Tomoe's foxfire. It's going to lead us to the Divine Assembly."

The foxfire led us over a mazelike set of walkways before we finally came to a set of doors and a woman standing in front.

"You can't enter without your god," she said. When she glanced up from her desk, her eyes widened and her skin paled. That was still so satisfying to see.

"I don't need a god to go where I want," I said, "And my god is waiting for me inside anyway."

I walked through the door and past the woman that was frozen in fear.

I pushed open the doors and walked down a hall to another set of doors that I had to open. What is it with the gods and big, dramatic doorways?

I saw no one there. This was beyond strange.

"This is suspicious." I heard Tomoe's voice and turned around. His mistress stood behind him.

"Shouldn't there be at least one person here?" I asked.

"Yes. Mizuki said that Lord Ookuninushi should still be here."

"Raya said she was in a dungeon," I said, "She managed to call your mistress's phone for a short time."

"I know where that is," Tomoe said, "Nanami, please stay here. If there is trouble, call for me."

The girl nodded and Tomoe and I began to walk away.

"Tomoe," she said.

"What?" he asked.

"Do whatever you have to."

He nodded and smiled slightly. She had given him permission as his god to allow him as much freedom as she could while he was under the terms of the familiar contract. We started running.

"Do you think Ookuninushi is the culprit?" Tomoe asked.

"I know that Ikusagami is involved," I said, "I found yokai from our fight dead a few miles from the shrine. I think they delivered him to her and he killed them. The sword slashes looked to much like the one you described that he gave you."

My blood boiled just thinking of how that disgusting god put his hands on her. He was no where near worthy of touching her. If Kirakaburi were alive, I would've let him use his imagination. How should I hurt this god? The same way I hurt that human rapist that touched her? No. That would be too merciful.

"It's here," Tomoe said, pointing to a stone building.

"You're right. That's the dungeon. Would you like to visit?" Ikusagami asked, coming up the stairs, "I'm afraid you can't, since you'll be dead."

"Still stealing my stuff after all these years?" Tomoe asked me.

So this is his katana.

"The snake gave it to me," I said.

"He's in trouble when I get back," Tomoe said, leaping forward and striking at Ikusagami with his claws. 

Ikusagami pulled out his dangerous sword and blocked Tomoe's strike and then attempting to cut off his hands. I ran forward and tried to slit his neck while he focused on Tomoe, but he turned around and tried to slice me. I was lucky to be able to twist out of the way, although it sent a surge of pain through my wound. Damn those twin snakes. 

"Hey, Tomoe. Remember when I used to steal your clothes and hide them?" I asked, swinging the katana again at the god, who nearly cut off my arm with his retaliatory swing.

"Does that matter now?" Tomoe asked, igniting his foxfire and attempting to burn Ikusagami and his sword. Ikusagami jumped back from the fire. 

"Well, I rather like Ikusagami's cloak," I said, covering one of my eyes with my hand.

Tomoe grinned and ran forward. He lit a burst of foxfire in front of Ikusagami and I slipped around and lifted his cloak. Tomoe kicked him, making Ikusagami stumble backward, and I covered his head with the cloak. I tossed Tomoe the katana, but he let it fall and instead took Ikusagami's sword and slashed his stomach with his own weapon. Ikusagami buckled and held his deep wound. 

"Should I behead him?" Tomoe asked.

"No," I said, then added in a mocking tone, "Remember, we're more human than he thinks. Imagine how sad Raya would be if she found out we killed in her name."

"Right, of course," he said, "Thank you for reminding me."

He and I both laughed softly before walking to the prison. Tomoe picked up his katana.

"You never treat my stuff well. I should behead you with this," he said.

I just grinned, "I hope you weren't expecting to find a change of clothes when you get back home."

"You're bluffing."

"Prove it."

We hurried down the stairs.