Chapter 34: Resurrection

Hiou pulled me into a run and I had trouble following. She was too fast.

"I got you!" Yatori said, grabbing me under one arm and Kirihito with the other and bounding to keep up with Hiou.

"How are you surviving down here?" Kirihito asked.

"I could ask the same about you," I said.

"I have a part of the Land God with me," he said, showing me a few locks of Nanami's hair.

"As I said over the phone, you're a creep," I said.

"Well how are you surviving?"

"Not with stolen hair."

Kirihito went silent.

"You know, I just realized, you two are kinda dressed the same," Yatori said.

I looked at Kirihito and realized we were both wearing black pants and black sweaters and we both had dark hair.

When we stood outside Lady Izunami's castle, Hiou smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry. I'm just so excited!" she said.

"What's the point of being excited she's here of you're going to leave her behind?" Kirihito said, brushing himself off and stepping away from Yatori, "Why are we here?"

"I have to talk to Lady Izunami first," I said.

"How long will that take?" he asked.

"Not long," I said.

Hiou led me down the halls and to the big doors. She pushed them open and I saw Lady Izunami's silhouette.

"Hi," I said.

"Lady Raya, it's wonderful to see you again," she said.

"Lady Izunami, I had a few things I wanted to ask you."

"I know. I'm listening."

"You were there the night my parents died. Why didn't you tell me you were there?"

"You were so young and you didn't even know then," Lady Izunami said.

"Did you know my parents? How did you know I would have the god mark at that age?"

"Your parents souls rest at peace. I knew your father. He was the only god of the World Over Yonder to ever introduce himself to me. He was a lot like you. I didn't mention it because I didn't want to have to share other things."

"What other things," I said, "I want to hear everything you know."

"Your father was killed by a yokai," she said, "Your mother. She was a yokai with a jinx power. She planned to crash your car and steal the god mark from your father, however, she didn't account for your father giving you the god mark at such a young age. Your father knew that your mother was up to something because of his ability to read yokai so well. He knew he would die and he sacrificed himself so she wouldn't come back and kill you. He used what little of his power that was left in him to banish your mother's soul to the Underworld."

"Raya, don't cry," Hiou pleaded, wrapping her arms around me. My mother was a yokai and she was the reason my father died. I broke down. I remembered her face so well. She was so beautiful and kind to me. She spoke so sweetly and she held me when I was picked on by other kids. It was all a lie.

"I caution you with resurrecting Akura Ou," Lady Izunami said, "You father, a god of the World Over Yonder, fell in love with a yokai and it cost him his life. Please, think carefully."

I was in shock. Tears ran down my face but I could barely feel them. I felt numb. I felt scared. Akura Ou wouldn't hurt me like that, right? If I brought him back, what would he do? After five hundred years, did his love for me fade? Does he even want to see me anymore? Because he was a yokai, I assumed five hundred years would be nothing to him, but what if I had only made him bitter? What if he hates me?