Chapter 9: Manipulated

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was the girl from my class, Nanami, leaning over me.

"I'm so glad you're okay! I'm very sorry that you got sent back in time. Mizuki is sorry too," she said.

I looked around and saw short-haired present Tomoe standing over another white haired, younger looking male who sat in his knees looking down at the floor. Tomoe's ears and tail were gone. He must have a way to disguise them with his yokai power.

"You shouldn't try to move yet, or it will hurt like crazy," Nanami said, "Can I get you anything? Are you hungry?"

I noticed she had an ice pack pressed to my bruised cheek, which felt nice.

"No, but I have a few questions," I said.

I noticed Tomoe still glaring down at Mizuki.

"First, how did I get back to feudal Japan?" I asked.

"Mizuki's Time Wending Incense Burner," Nanami said, "It sends you back to whichever era in time you want to go to. You must have been thinking about someone or somewhere in feudal Japan when you found the burner, which is why you ended up there."

What had I thought about when I found the incense burner? Right, I was thinking about Tomoe, because I had heard his voice right before I passed out.

"Alright, second question, where am I?" I asked.

"You're at my home, the Mikage Shrine," Nanami said.

"Why do you live in a shrine?"

"Uhm."

I noticed Tomoe glaring at Nanami now. 

"You didn't need to mention that you live here," Tomoe muttered.

"I live here because I'm, the Land God of this shrine," she said, looking embarrassed.

"Not the weirdest thing I've heard or seen today," I said, "But that is incredible. I want to hear more about that later." Nanami nodded 

"Final question," I said, "Is Tomoe a yokai?"

Tomoe's eyes widened and Nanami looked nervous.

"No, why would you think he's a yokai?" Nanami sputtered quickly, laughing obnoxiously, "No he's just a friend of mine who helps take care of the shrine."

"Alright, but what about Mizuki?" I asked, changing the subject. I could see in his eyes, Tomoe was concerned about the possibility of me being in his past. Whether he was embarrassed or just wanted me to stay out of his business, I wasn't sure.

"I've never met a human with a incense burner that can send you to the past," I added 

"No!" Nanami cried, "It's just a, um, family heirloom that, um, Mizuki found and brought with him!"

"Nanami, if you are truly a god, why are you so nervous about telling me if Mizuki is a yokai?"

Nanami paused before sighing in defeat, "Mizuki is a snake yokai and Tomoe is a fox."

Tomoe paused before shrugging. A puff of smoke surrounded him and he had ears and a tail once more.

"I have a few questions for you," Tomoe said, looking me in the eyes.

"Yeah?"

"First off, you said you didn't want to come back because you were playing a game. Who with?"

"A few people I met in the village I landed in."

"What about your appearance? Did no one seem to find it odd?"