"I know, but I wanted to let you know I'll be gone for at least a year." Lorenzo dropped the giant bomb on her.

Beyoncé blinked in shock as she swallowed. She must have heard him wrong, so she asked for clarification."A year?" She hardly whispered.

"Well— at least. And if they're impressed, it may be for a little longer," he cringed. Beyoncé looked away as the thought of Lorenzo being gone for over a year had ruined their lovely meal.

"Listen, I know you and I aren't official, and that's okay. Let's remain just friends. It wouldn't be fair for either of us when we'll be so far apart for so long." Lorenzo looked up at Beyoncé. He held his breath, waiting for her response. If he can't have her as his lover, he needs her as his friend because Beyoncé is remarkable. Losing her ultimately would hurt.

After a few moments of silence, Beyoncé spoke with a small smile. "Lorenzo, I agree. I wouldn't want to keep you from any woman in New York." She joked, hoping to make the situation a little lighter.

Lorenzo sported a bright smile, happy she didn't take the news too badly. "Nor would I want to keep you away from anyone down here. But we're still writing to each other, okay? Don't think you can get rid of me that fast!" He laughed.

"Of course!" She chuckled.

One week later...

Beyoncé stood at the bottom of the Dukes' spiral staircase, looking at the full laundry basket at her feet with dread. "I may as well just get it over with." She said to herself, picking up the heavy basket and feeling a strain on her back as she straightened. The entire way to the second floor, she laughed at the fact that she was about to turn twenty and had back pains like an old woman. She finally reached her destination and knocked on her friend's door, holding her breath.

"If that's you, Bey, you can come in!" Morgan shouted cheerfully from the other side.

The tired maid released a low groan of disappointment and slight agitation. She hoped Morgan would be out of the house, spending time with Vivian. Beyoncé usually enjoyed Morgan's company, and she was always so happy to see her, but today, she wasn't in a talking mood.

Nonetheless, Beyoncé couldn't avoid Morgan all day. So, she put on the most convincing smile she could muster, pushed some hair out of her face, and then turned the knob to enter Morgan's large room. Beyoncé found Morgan standing by her canopy bed, examining two dresses she held in either hand.

"Bey! I'm so happy to see you!" Morgan spoke in excitement. "I've been tryin' to choose which dress to wear tonight, and I just can't!" She complained, obviously frustrated. "Now, tell me the truth. Do you like the green one or cream colored one better?" Morgan asked, turning to Beyoncé with a bright smile.

Beyoncé couldn't help but smile at how distraught Morgan was over some clothing choice. "I like the cream one the most." She answered evenly, tucking away some clothing in the dresser next to Morgan's window.

"You're right," Morgan agreed, tossing the other dress on the bed as she plopped down next to it. "You know, Vivian and I went shopping just yesterday, and—" Morgan's words began to run together as Beyoncé quickly zoned out of the conversation.

Closing the top dresser drawer, Beyoncé looked out the window and saw Justin walking around the large fountain in front of the Dukes' mansion. She watched Justin stand next to his red convertible. His head was tilted downward as he lit a cigarette, throwing the lighter in the passenger seat.

As she watched Justin get into his car, she wondered what he was thinking at that very moment. Had he missed her as much as she had missed him this past week? Or was he still upset with her and planned to avoid her for another week?